“But, Teresa, you’re right. He loves you. He loves you so much he’s going to call things off with you. Isn’t that sweet?” I said sarcastically.

 Suddenly, I had a Teresa on me, swinging for my face. It’s funny how immature she was. However, as much as she struggled, she didn’t succeed. I was too fast for her and pinned her against the wall, face plastered against it. I took hold of her wrists and made my way for the door.

 Throwing her out, I slammed the door in her face. I locked it making sure not to allow her back in. I felt her slam her fist against the door and scream. I looked through the peephole, seeing her bizarre face lighted up with anger.

 “Fuck you, Isbell. You just wait. I will get your daughter,” she yelled. I watched her turn on her heels and make her way back to wherever she came from.

 I was about to sit down when I heard a stir from the other room. A few seconds later, Kayden appeared in the kitchen, sleepy-eyed from her nap. Her hair was pushed up and knotted at the nape of her neck. She squinted and looked around the room. Seeing me sitting at the table, she made her way over to me, climbing into my lap. She leaned against my chest, resting her head on my shoulder, falling back asleep. Even though she was practically half my height, I found this extremely calming, considering.

 I ran my hand through her hair. She snuggled closer. I kissed the top of her head, her blonde ringlets almost making me sneeze considering they were tickling my nose. I leaned my head against hers, feeling her body move up and down with her breathing.

 “Kayden?” I whispered. She leaned back and looked up at me, her eyes still tired from her nap.

 “Yes?” she answered, rubbing her eyes. She yawned and closed her eyes, opening them back up quickly, trying to knock the sleep out of her. I pushed the knotted mess from her face and looked into her eyes. She looked so innocent and cute.

 “Who dropped you off here?” I asked. She looked confused before finding her words. She shrunk slightly.

 “I don’t know,” she said weakly. This time I was confused. I looked at her face, searching for something, anyone’s name. I was also wondering why my daughter was lying. I knew she knew who dropped her off, but why didn’t she want me to know?

 “Kayden, answer my question honestly. Who dropped you off?” I asked. I needed to know the answer. If I was going to fight Teresa and Blake again to get my daughter back, I needed every lick of evidence I could get my hands on. This was one of them.

 Kayden looked away from my eyes, climbing down from my lap. I watched as she made her way to the front door. She opened it and stared out into the sunlight. I could faintly hear the waves crashing in the background.

 “Daddy,” she said. Her answer shocked me. For some reason I was under the impression that Teresa had dropped her off and that she was up to no good. But Blake? Why would he drop her off after saying that she couldn’t stay with me? Why did he say that Teresa was supposed to have her? And why was he in such a hurry to get off the phone?

 So many questions boggled my head I almost didn’t see my daughter walk out the door. I got up from the table rather quickly and followed Kayden out the door. Her blonde hair sparkled in the sunlight as she made her way down the street. I struggled to catch up with her.