one

"Get back to work."

"Sorry, boss."

I threw the rest of my chicken salad away and put on my apron. I put on my fake smile as I welcomed guests that came into the diner. A bunch of thank you's and hi's followed my greeting. I was pretty good at faking my happiness, I mean I've been doing it for years now. In the corner of my eye I could see my co-worker, Madison, walking over to me. I guess you could say Madison is my best friend. I didn't really have many friends because I did not have the desire to make any. When she finally made her way to me, I asked her what table I should serve.

"Table six seems ready. Why don't you take their orders and I'll do table three." She responded.

"Perfect. Thanks so much, Madz," I said using the nickname I have acquired for her over the years.

I walked over to table six putting on that winning fake smile once more.

"Good morning everyone! Can I start you guys off with some drinks?"

After everyone told me what they would like to drink, I made my way over to put the order in. After I finished punching in the last drink, Madison stopped me.

"Hey Calz, I'm throwing a party this weekend and I thought maybe you could come? It's just we haven't hung out in ages and I miss you."

I stopped. I needed to think of an excuse to blow the party off. I missed Madison too, but parties were not my scene. Maybe I should tell her I have other plans?

"Sorry Madz, but I have things to do," I said turning away from her. She grabbed my shoulder and made me look into her brown eyes.

"Caly, I know you. You don't have any plans. You are probably going to be at your apartment watching Grey's Anatomy or something on Netflix. Come on, Caly. I know you barely get out and you don't have many people you can call your friend. Please just come to this party, for me. I think it would be really good for you ever since-"

"Okay okay. I'll admit, I don't have plans but I hate parties and you know that." I said quickly.

"I know. I just want you to be happy. Working at this diner and then going home everyday isn't going to make you happy," she said taking her hand off my shoulder.

I thought about it for a moment. I didn't care about my happiness. I came to that realization a long time ago. I could never be happy, and I never will. Temporary happiness is all a person can achieve. This party will only bring me temporary happiness, but maybe happiness for a night can't feel too bad?

I hesitated for a second before responding. "I'll think about it. A night out can't hurt right?"

I immediately regretted my response as Madison squealed.

"Yes finally! I'm so excited! You can borrow some of my clothes if you want! And maybe you can get ready at my place before and-"

I cut her off. "Woah there. I agreed to think about it."

"I know. I'm just excited that you're even thinking about it. I haven't spent any time with you outside of this damn diner. I miss Calz and Madz," she said with a sad expression on her face.

"I miss us too." She is the only person I care about in this world. I knew I needed to spend more time with her, but I just didn't like the same crowd she did. I really didn't have any crowd at all. "You know what? Fine. I'll come," Madison was about to say something but I raised my finger in response. "But don't expect me to be happy there or socialize."

"THANK YOU!" was all I heard before she came crashing onto me. Her arms were around me in the biggest hug I've ever received.

"Can't. Breathe," I choked out. She let go of me in laughter, but apologizing as she stopped laughing.

"Get back to work, Paretti."

"Sorry, Boss," I say back thinking of all the trouble I just got myself into.

After several more hours of serving tables, my shift was over. I walked to my old, beat up car parked right across the street from the diner. My car ran so badly, but I kind of liked it. It had mistakes and problems that can't be fixed, just like me.

I made it back to my apartment and took a shower. I needed to think about how I am going to survive at this party tomorrow. My thoughts drained me as I washed my hair.

I hopped out of the shower and heard a bing. A text? Since when do I receive texts? As I put on some pajamas, I found out the text was from Madison.

I'm really glad you agreed to go to the party, Calz. Can't wait. Xx -Madz

-

I can't believe I'm going. You owe me one. -Calz

-

I put my phone down and crawled in bed. I needed some rest before I get out of comfort zone for the first time ever. I can't believe what I got myself into...

>

>

**Well that's the first chapter!! I hope you guys liked it. I'm gonna try to do my best to update later. Please don't give up on this book. Thank you for reading. xx

What do you think is gonna happen at the party?

(and yes I used my own name as the main character haha. But I feel this way I can relate more to her and make this story even better.)

-c