MICHELLE

MALIBU 1992...

Julian woke up with the sun shining through the window of his bachelor's apartment overlooking the Pacific ocean and looked up, staring at the ceiling for a while before he got out of bed and headed for the kitchen to make himself some coffee and toast for breakfast. He poured some coffee from the percolator flask into his cup and added some sugar and milk before he sat down at the counter to read his morning newspaper. It was his first week on the job at the Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena as a trauma surgeon and after he finished his breakfast, he got dressed and hasted himself down to the parking garage of the apartment block where he stayed. He walked up to his red Volkswagen Rabbit cabriolet that stood parked in its usual parking spot, got in the car, and drove off. He got on the freeway heading for Pasadena and had the radio turned on and the top down.

After a while, he turned the nose of the Rabbit onto the hospital premises and parked in the parking reserved for the doctors and staff at the hospital. He got out of his car and headed for the entrance.

 He passed a group of nurses on the way to his consulting rooms. He got onto the first elevator that opened up and on the first floor walked down the hallway to room number 5. On the door, there was a plate reading 'Dr. J. P. Rodriguez – Trauma Surgeon: Ph.D. MD Surgery UCLA'. 

He opened the door and stepped into the reception area where Katherine his receptionist was already on her post. "Good morning Dr. Rodriguez."

"Good morning Katherine." He walked up to the reception counter to take a look at his consultations for the day. "So I'm booked for O.R. this afternoon?"

"Yes, doctor."

"And five consultations this morning? Looks like it's gonna be a very busy day."

"Certainly."

"Before my first consultation comes in I'm just quickly going to do a few rounds in surgery. Let me know if there's an emergency or anything okay?"

"Yes, doctor."

He smiled at her and left.

He was passing through oncology on the way to surgery and was reading through a document when he bumped into a lady who came around the other side of the corner searching for something in her handbag. He knelt to pick up his documents, and she knelt too to help him gather the papers on the floor. "I'm so sorry. I didn't look where I was going."

"Me neither...it's not your fault."

She paused for a moment when she recognized the husky baritone voice in front of her and they both looked up at each other surprised. "Michelle?"

"Julian?"

They immediately stood up and hugged each other. "Oh my goodness Michelle, it's really you? You haven't changed a bit since I last saw you...it's been how many years."

"