Interference

Syraj agrees with our idea to send him in as a mole. He might not have the strength or the acute senses of a real shifter, but his ability to change his appearance makes up for that. Plus, he knows exactly how Torngy works.

"We'll come in here, here, and here.", Garret points down to a map on the decks table," Diesel, it's best if you stay here while you, Olivia, position near this pump house."

"Shouldn't I be near the pump house? My senses can detect any evil that might come near." Diesel recommends.

Garret nods, "True. You and Olivia will switch your parts then."

Felcity has been watching with wide eyes. She's about to open her mouth, but I stop here abruptly by telling her to find us a pen. We truthfully don't need a pen. I only tell her to fetch the thing because I know she's going to beg to be part of this.

My responsibility as her older sister is keep her out of harm's way. These people we're dealing with took Diesel, who is one of the strongest people I know. If they could take down someone like that, then I have no doubt that they'd find my sister an easy target. I'm never going to forget the shear terror I felt when worrying whether Diesel was alive or not. The image of Diesel in his weakened state in that lab still sends chills through me. It kills me to imagine my sister finding herself in that situation. She's so young. Too young.

Mr. Wilks has been studying our plan with furrowed brows and no words. Syraj adds in his opinions and tweaks. Ash does too and even gives us some clever ideas.

Suddenly, Mr. Wilks breaks his silent demeanor, "Stop, stop. No, you are all not thinking."

We all go quiet and turn to him. The words in our mouth cease.

He clears his throat, "What is the number one rule of being a shifter?"

"Stay secret." Ash answers first, which surprises me because he's the only human among us.

"Yes, precisely. None of you are thinking. You're too desperate and you must understand that each of your decisions will eventually at some point lead you to shapeshifting. The area of Torgny's yacht is filled with people. Although it will be two in the morning there will still be people around."

Syraj tenses, "Are you saying we should let them leave the harbor then attack?"

"Exactly. If Torngy is out at sea we can cut him off. If he's in the harbor, he could easily slip away. You can still go undercover, Syraj. If we're out at sea we can shift without being spotted. That gives us an upper hand to attack. Not only that, but we can use my own yacht to chase them down."

Its unanimous. We all let Mr. Wilks decide the moves and vital decisions from now on. I definitely don't know him the way Garret does, but there's no doubt in my mind that the professor has gained experience in these things at some point in his life as a shifter.

___________________

"Like this?"

Diesel nods, "Yes, just like that."

My earpiece feels weird. Right as I'm about to reach towards it once more, Diesel takes my hand. I smile at him reassuringly.

"Whatever happens tonight, know that I love you so much."

I grimace, "You make it sound like this might be our last time together."

Diesel looks down, "We never know when we share our last moments."

Suddenly, the serious moment falls apart as Ash shouts over the earpiece, "Love you too, Diesel!"

I growl, "Ash! Did you listen to us?"