Part 26 - July 31st 1969

Začít od začátku

"Can I have a go?"

"Sure." Paul grinned. "The master copy is safe so do what you want!"

Lucy had tremendous fun playing around with Paul's voice. Slowing it down and speeding it up. "You sound like Pinky and Perky!" she giggled, referring to two characters from a TV programme for children. Even Paul was laughing with her. She touched another button. "What does this do?"

"Try it?"

Lucy turned the button. Suddenly she gasped. "Wow! That's gorgeous! It gives your voice a beautiful echo!"

Paul smiled at her. "It does sound nice. I wonder how the track would sound with it? One minute." Paul altered a few more buttons then set the tape to play, the voice using the echo that Lucy had discovered. "Hey, you're onto something here Lucy. I love it! Thanks baby! You'll be in the credits of my new album for that!"

"You're doing a new album? The Band?"

Paul shook his head. "No, not the band, just me."

"So that song was all you?"

He nodded.

"You played and sang everything?"

"Yes."

She looked at him in awe for a moment then suddenly hugged him hard. "Well done you! I can't believe how much you've changed Paul, I really can't! I hope you're happier now than you were."

He hugged her back and smiled at her praise. "You made the change happen Lucy, by leaving me." He told her softly, "So hearing your praise means a lot. Thank you!" Without warning, he leaned over and kissed her impulsively. To his surprise Lucy responded and deepened the kiss. They broke apart, both blushing. "Now that was worth you leaving me Lucy. Definitely!"

Lucy sat and watched whilst Paul continued his work until it drew closer to lunchtime. Her stomach rumbled loudly, making Paul laugh.

"What was that?"

Lucy laughed. "I'm afraid I get hungry all of sudden these days." She apologized, "That's my body telling me that junior is hungry!" She looked at her watch, "I'll need to eat fairly soon Paul or I'll end up being sick!"

"Really?"

She nodded. "I'll go and get something at home and let you get your work finished." She stood up.

"Hang on Lucy love."

"Yes?"

"How would you fancy a nice lunch in the pub over the road? They do great food and huge portions for you and junior!"

"You're sure?" she asked, "What if someone realizes it's you or that I'm pregnant?"

"If they recognize me, an autograph will get rid of them and as for you being pregnant, I'm not ashamed of the fact. Are you?"

She shook her head.

"So?"

Lucy smiled. "Lunch sounds lovely Paul. Thank you."

Lunch was a very private and cosy affair for the couple. The landlord, who knew Paul well, found them a secluded little table at the back of the pub so they were undisturbed except when their food was served. They talked constantly, probably more than had spoken in the last month that Lucy had lived with Paul in Scotland. Lucy couldn't get over the change in Paul. The angry morose selfish man she had suffered was gone. Now she had the Paul the she had fallen in love with back beside her. They caught up on each other's changes in life. Paul talked about his new album and the plans he had for promoting it. His excitement for his work was wonderful to see but Lucy couldn't help but feel that his plans didn't have room for her and a baby.