Chapter 42

Tris POV

Tobias carries me to the infirmary and sets me down infront of Marlene's room.

"Do you want to walk in?" Tobias asks. I nod and turn the door knob slowly. The door creeks open and inside I see Uriah smiling at Marlene. I run to Marlene and give her a hug and she winces in pain. I quickly pull away, worried I hurt her. She looks pale and weak, she has bruises almost everywhere and a black left eye. You can see the pain in her eyes.

"Oh sorry Mar, how are you feeling? Any better?" I ask.

"It's fine, and I feel sore, my ribs, my back, my legs, everything. They beat me bad." She replies. Uriah stiffens and clenches his fist, I'm about to say something but I'm cut off and I hear the most high pitched, girly squeal ever. It goes right to my ear drums and I immediately put my hands to my ears.
Ouch. Oh jeez, it's Christina. That explains a lot.

"EEEEEEEEEP! YOU GUYS ARE OK!!" She screams. She charges at me and hugs me so tight it knocked the breathe out of me. I feel pain shoot up my sides and I try not to scream. I struggle for air and Tobias notices.

"Um, Christina," he walks over to her and pries her off of me.

"Oops sorry Tris. I've missed you guys so much!" She says leaning in to hug Marlene.

I force a laugh, "it's fine, and I've missed you too. And surprisingly, I'd much rather be shopping then be there." I say. She squeals and does a victory dance that's way too cheesy for dauntless.

"Good because I'm taking you shopping for visiting day tomorrow!" She says clapping her hands. I completely forgot about visiting day. Usually no one ever came for me, I was used to it though because I'm a member of dauntless now, not a small innocent initiate. No one really needed to come for me.

"Um I don't th-" she cuts me off.

"Oh come on! I haven't seen my bestfriend in forever and now you won't even come shopping with me?!" She whines. I groan and roll my eyes.

"Yeah Trissy, go shopping, remember how you were telling me about how much you secretly love the mall?!" Marlene says sarcastically. Christina turns to me wide eyed. I never even said that!

"What n-" I'm cut off.

"O.M.G! TRIS THATS FANTASTIC LETS GO!" Christina squeals and drags me out of the hospital room. I make sure to turn back and glare at Marlene, she just laughs. Great, now I'm stuck shopping.

*time lapse*

"How 'bout this?!" Christina holds up a plain black dress that goes just above the knees and has short sleeves.

"I like it, but what's there to dress up for? My family never comes anyways." I say.

"Because! Maybe Four's parents are coming! YOU WANT TO LOOK FABULOUS!" I stiffen at that thought. But Marcus would never come here. Or would he? I shrug it off.

"In your dreams." I mumble. Christina turns to me.

"What?"

"Oh nothing." I say sarcastically and pulling off a fake smile.

"Ok well I'm buying this for you!" She says and runs towards to cashier before I can run after her. I groan an decide to wait for her outside. I walk out and feel the cool air touch my skin.

"Hey Tris!" I hear in the distance. I turn to see who it is. Al.

"Oh... Hey Al!" I say trying to hide my disgust. I still don't fully forgive him for what he did to me. But I eventually have to let it go.

"So... How are you?" He asks trying to start a conversation.

"Good." I say plainly. And he takes a deep breathe. Oh boy, here it comes.

"Listen Tris, I know you're still mad at me but please, I like you a lot, please give me a chance and go on a date with me." My stomach drops, but I remember not to show him I'm afraid, so I stand up a bit straighter.

"I have a boyfriend." I say not making eye contact.

"I know bu-" I cut him off.

"You know?" I say looking him in the eyes. "You know, and you expect me to just leave my boyfriend for you? No way!" I practically yell. I can picture the hurt in Tobias's eyes if he ever found out that I did something like that. It breaks my heart and I start to tear up. Other dauntless have stopped what they're doing to watch and a tiny circle has formed. Al doesn't say anything.

"You had your chance Al and you blew it! BLEW IT! SO DONT EXPECT ME
TO JUST LEAVE EVERYTHING I HAVE RIGHT NOW AND FORGIVE YOU FOR ALMOST KILLING ME, TO COME BE WITH YOU! YOURE. A. COWARD!" I scream.

I feel heat rush to my cheeks. I'm
extremely angry right now. I can't believe he thought I would actually cheat on Tobias. I turn and scream in frustration, tears roll down my cheeks. I see Christina standing right there with her jaw to the floor. I grab her arm and pull her away leaving Al standing there, speechless. I tighten my grip on the bag with my dress in it walking away as fast as I can, I hear Christina behind me. But she hasn't said anything. Then I see Tobias. I start to break down crying as I run into him. He seems startled at first, I'm guessing he didn't see me, but then he wraps his arms around me and let's me cry into his shirt. I still can't shake the feeling from thinking how Al was trying kill me long ago. Now he wanted another chance? No. Never.