road trip of memories // part 2.

Without reluctance, he volunteers, "I'll take the floor."

"No, you don't have to do that." Riley disregards, waving him off.

"It's fine, you can-"

"Lucas." Her determination and slight annoyance led him to believe this wasn't a battle he'd be winning any time soon, so he nodded in agreement and they both sent back into the motel room, ignoring the undeniable tension.

"Are you going to get in the shower?" She questioned, hating how uncomfortable she was to speak to him.

"I'll shower in the morning before we leave," He replied, taking his shirt off for bed. Riley knew he never slept in a shirt, and quickly looked away - though it was very hard for her. "I assume you'll be taking the right side?" He quipped, knowing that was always the side she had to sleep on when they were together. She only nodded before crawling onto the bed.

Luckily she was surprisingly tired, and was able to fall asleep before her thoughts consumed her, but if only she knew her dream would be so much worse than her thoughts because it was in fact a memory.

"You don't trust me? After everything we have gone through for the past five years? This is unbelievable!" His words spewing venom, meeting her glare.

"Yes, it is. It's unbelievable that I just walked in on my boyfriend and another girl at midnight! What am I suppose to think? That she snuck in for a late night game of candy land?!" The furious brunette shrieked in response.

"Damnit, Riley! I didn't cheat on you! But no, you couldn't possibly believe me. You haven't ever since the damn triangle, it's like you're waiting for me to run into the arms of some other girl. Admit it, you've been waiting for me to mess up this whole damn time because of you stupid insecurities."

"No, why don't you just admit that you're tired of dealing with me! If we broke up, you'd be relieved!"

"Yeah, I would."

"Well then, you're in luck. Now you don't have to hide your flavor of the week's behind closed doors. Right?" She said, pushing him back, too high on rage to be hurt by his words.

"She came in here! God, when are you going to grow up and use your head!? Why the hell would I cheat on you?"

"Oh, don't play dumb with me."

"Oh, I forgot, that's your job." He fired, his darkened orbs narrowed.

She scoffed, "Have fun with Marissa because I'm done."

"You're so immature and incompetent, you don't know anything."

"I know I'm better off without someone like you, a cheater and a liar. I hate you, and I will never forgive you!" And with that, she left a very pissed off Lucas in the dimly lit hotel room.

Inside of her, there was a part of her that was too relived, but for a different reason. She can blame her insecurities on him, and not herself - even if, deep down, she knew the truth was he'd never-

Riley shot up from her pillow, tears cascading down her cheeks.

"Riley, what's wrong?" Lucas worriedly asked, from beside her. Her glossy eyes trailed to his emerald orbs with a reflection shining in from the window. "Did you have a bad dream?" No, it was far worse than 'bad.'

She numbly shook her head, "It wasn't a dream. It was real." The pieces of hair that frame her face were now stuck to her forehead from the sweat she broke from the nightmare. Fragments and pieces of the fight played in her mind like a movie, making her stomach only churn even more.