London

"Fifteen minutes exactly!" Announced Maree as Eliza's feet met solid ground. The spots clearing from her vision, Eliza rebuked herself. This boat could never be mistaken as a dirty ferry-boat. The gold luxury steamboat drifted halfway out in the harbour. Eliza was afraid to move, lest she defile the perfectly lacquered boards.

     She was still clinging to Uso's hand. Breaking the hold now would be unwelcome, she decided.

     The animals had made the jump too, Fenrir, Morrigan, and Kaninchen the python all present on the deck.The boat rocked gently in the water, like an overlarge baby cradle.

     "Where's Maree?" Eliza asked, scanning the deck for the boy. Blume answered. "He's up in the cabin, I should go help him." Crossing the deck, she vaulted up a flight of steps and disappeared. 

     The boat lurched, beginning to move forward. "Uso?" Eliza wondered what was wrong. The witch hadn't spoken a word for some time. "Uso, are you alright?" Her only response was to stare off at the receeding coastline. Then she shook herself off, leaning forward to rest her arm on the wooden railing. 

     "I'm okay." Something of her usual tone had returned to her voice. There were too many questions fermenting in Eliza's skull, too many words scorching her tongue, begging to be asked out loud. 

     "What's wrong with that Ferreo guy? Is he always that..."

    "Offensive? Unfortunately, yes. As hard as it is to say this though, you really can't blame the guy. Before he became a part of the Order, he was a street-fighter in southern Italy. This was a really long time ago, 1700s. Anyway, living on the streets like that messed with his brain. He's wired not to trust anybody, to always strike first."

     "But then, why even keep him around?"

     "For a government to work properly, it needs a devil's advocate, someone to make you doubt whatever you do. Thus, Ferreo stays."

     "And what about Krylo?"

     "I think he was born that way. He changes every once in a while. One side of him is loyal and pure, but the other... Clinically insane. And those hair streaks are so damn hideous, they make me want to claw my eyes out."

     Eliza giggled. They were pretty nasty. It was truly night now, stars falling to the earth and dusting her shoulders. "How long will it take to get there?"

     "Four hours. This boat doesn't like the laws of physics." Eliza shivered. It was cooler out on the water.

     Her hand was empty, a warm, heavy presence draping itself over her. Uso stood back, coat-less, to admire her work. "You good now?" Eliza stomach grumbled. "A little hungry, but yeah.? Hungry, went Eliza's train of thought, food, fish, cat food, cats... Willow! 

     "Uso, where is Willow? She was with me a couple minutes ago, but..." She began to panic, rushing about the deck.

     Uso chuckled. "Aw, look!" Eliza froze. Under a small gold table napped Fenny and Willow, snuggling together. Eliza frowned at the sight. "You little traitor you!"

     She grinned again when she saw the table was laden with food. When did that get there? Rushing over, she sat down, shoveling a bowl of pasta into her mouth. It was god, buttery and warm. Eliza gestured wildly for Uso to join her, nearly choking on a mouthful of noodles. 

     The next few hours were a happy blur of food and warmth and companionship. The moon had risen high above the ocean, reflecting off the water and turning the waves to glass. A record player on the far side of the deck played a calmin aria. Eliza knew she was running, but she felt normal somehow, like nothing was wrong and it was just her and Uso out there on the tide.