Matriarchy

Uso held tight to Eliza's frame, steadying the young woman before releasing her.

     Eliza did her best to wipe away the tears glistening on her cheeks with the sleeve of her sweater. her vision clearing, she cast a look at Uso's injured arm. Inky blood trickled over her fingers, dripping onto the ground like a leaky pen.

     "Why did you do that, why did you let yourself get hurt?" Eliza asked breathlessly.

     "Because Eliza, it was my job. More than that, I care about you. I'm not heartless. I'm not heartless." Strangely, it sounded as though she were trying to convince herself rather than Eliza. Uso paid no attention to her wound, as though it didn't phase her in the slightest.

     "Eliza...?" May Panik stumbled out of her car, one hand pressed to her forehead. "Are you alright? Where have you been? What happened? I tried to get away, but..." Eliza, blinking away the rest of her tears, ran to her mother's side. "Mom, we gotta get inside, come on."

     May sighed defeatedly, her gaze passing over the carnage. "Oh, I should have known. Let's go." They made their way inside the condo, where May collapsed onto the couch. Uso and Eliza sat down on either side of the woman.

     May took a deep breath, strands of hair falling out of her bun. "Eliza, I'm going to tell you a story I should have told you years ago. No interruption, both of you, I won't stand for it"

     "Years ago, our family immigrated from Norway to the United States. You know that part already. What you don't know is that when they came here, they were running. For as long as any of us can recall, our family has attracted the paranormal. Our family was fleeing from an unspeakable danger when he got on the boat. 

     "Until I was born, the curse wasn't passed on to anyone.

     "Eliza, when we moved here from Boston, we were running too. Things like the ones outside had been attacking me for weeks, and I wasn't going to put either of our lives in danger. I remembered what happened in Norway and I knew we had to leave the city. Once we had gotten settled here, I thought we would be safe, and until tonight, we were.

     "My mother told me about a flower that repels dark power when I was little, and when we moved here, I grew a patch. I've been leaving the flowers around the house ever since. But I guess either it stopped working, or the new neighbors really, really hated gift baskets.

     "This is all my fault Eliza. This... genetic curse or whatever it is put you in danger. I need to keep you safe, but I can't because I don't have the power.

     "And you." May turned to face Uso. The witch jerked to attention. "Yes?"

    "Don't even try to lie to me, I know you're not human. But you saved my daughter's life, and I thank you for that. Eliza might be in trouble now because of me, I can feel it. But you, you have strength I could never even dream of having. I'm asking, no, begging you to protect Eliza. Please keep her safe for me."

     Uso met May's eyes. "I'll do it. For me, there is no other option. It isn't entirely your fault that this happened. I realeased too much energy before, they could sense that a witch was nearby. That's enough to spark any unholy into a frenzy. if anyone is to blame, it's me. But you're right about Eliza being in danger. If anything, the young will want revenge for their mother's death. They're probably calling for help as we speak."

     May tried and failed to smile. "Thank you Uso. I'm counting on you."

     Eliza felt displaced, like a baby bird pushed from its nest. "Why am i all wrapped up in this? Why didn't you tell me that stuff until now, Mom? Can't I just stay here?"