27

Short a/n: I hope everyone had a great holiday season (Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah) and happy New Year!  I hope 2018 is going well so far!

Nathan's POV
I'm looking out at my beautiful family on Christmas day, making pancakes for them.
Zola is playing with her toys, Bailey playing with MatchBox cars, Ellis playing and sweet Meredith holding little Lexie watching them all play. 

I take my phone out and take a picture and post it to Instagram, tagging Meredith and Cristina with the caption "wishing you all a happy Christmas from my family to yours"

I finish making all the pancakes, I make bacon and some sausage and some toast. I out some fruit into bowls and put it all on the table.
"Right, breakfast is ready!" I call.
"Yay!  Thanks daddy!  This looks really good!" Zola squeals and jumps onto the bench at the table. Bailey climbs onto the bench after.  I lift Ellis onto her wooden chair, and me and Meredith sit at the heads of the tables and Cristina sit next to Ellis. 
"Thanks Nathan. This looks incredible." Cristina says.
"Thanks. Anything for this beautiful family." I say.
Meredith smiles back, a twinkle in her eyes. "This is amazing. Thanks honey."
I smile back.

We chow down and bubbly laughter fills the air. The kids are talking loudly about how much they love their gifts from Santa and how they can't wait for more snow to fall so they can go sledding.

"I have an idea. How about we go ice skating?" I ask.
"Yeah!  Mommy, please?" Zola asks.
"Sure. Only if Auntie Cristina doesn't mind coming so we can tag team with Lexie." Meredith says.
"Oh of course. Lexie is adorable." Cristina says. 
"I'm no adorable?" Ellis asks Cristina with a pout.
"You are all adorable. But if I'm holding Lexie then mommy or daddy can help you skate." Cristina says.
"Oh okay. Yay!  Mommy when we go skate!" Ellis yells.
"Today?" I ask and look across the table.
"Sounds good to me. Let's finish breakfast, get dressed and go downtown to the rink I went to as a kid. It's the best in the city." Meredith says. 
"Yay!" Zola and Bailey say.

We all get dressed in warm clothes and I looked in the basement for skates since Meredith said she had some.

Meredith's POV
"What are you looking for?" I ask Nathan.
"You said you had skates?" He asks.
"Yeah, I have some for me, and I have ones from when I was a kid that ought to fit Zola or Bailey. We'll have to rent them for everyone else."  I say.  I grab all the kids winter gear, my own jacket and gloves, and I grab stuff for Cristina because knowing her, she didn't bring any.  

We all pile into the car and drive downtown to the best skating rink. 

"Mommy!  Can you help me!"  Bailey says when we sit down.  It turns out the skates no longer fit Zola, but are a pretty good fit for Bailey. 

Cristina helps Zola and Ellis find skates that fit and Nathan grabs a pair of skates from the rental. 

"Mom!  Help!"  Zola says as she steps onto the ice and promptly falls on her butt. 
"Here Zo."  Cristina says, handing Zola a milk crate to balance with.  We end up stacking two for Zola, and just one for Bailey and us adults take turns helping Ellis skate, and eventually sitting with Ellis and Lexie while the other four skate around the rink. 

"Mommy, I'm cold.  My hands feel like icicles!"  Zola complains when we all get off for the Zamboni to resurface the ice. 

"Let's grab some hot chocolate and some snacks while they do this to warm up a bit."  I say.

The kids all sit together, with Nathan holding Lexie and Ellis sitting on my lap. Cristina goes and gets the food and hot chocolate.
When it's ready she brings it all over on a tray the gave her, and the kids immediately dig into the fries.