26

Meredith's POV
"Finally married." Nathan says sweetly.
"Shall we get to the reception?" I say taking his hand.

We walk in and everyone starts cheering.
"Congrats guys!" April says pulling Jackson behind her.
"Thanks!" I say, giving them each a hug.

Cristina walks up and stares at Nathan in the eye for a minute.
"Don't hurt her, she's been hurt too many times." Cristina says.
"I wouldn't dare hurt her." Nathan says.
"Good. Congrats guys. I hope everything turns out perfectly. Here's a little gift. I didn't want to put it on the gift table." Cristina says.
"Should I open it?" I ask.
"You already know what it is. Well, part of it." Cristina says with a wink.

I open her gift and I find a bottle of tequila and a gift card to the fanciest hotel in Seattle.
"Cris, thanks." I say and give her a hug.
"Ow." She says.
"Oh come on. We've changed in the past ten years." I say and sue hugs back.
"Enjoy yourselves." She says winking.

"That was sweet." Nathan says. "But what happened 10 years ago?"
"Oh she was pregnant with Burke's baby and she told me at Joe's and she put me down as her emergency contact person and since it was just after I found out Derek was married, I was there wallowing in tequila, and she was there and told me, then I leaned over and put an arm around her shoulder and she said 'you know this constitutes hugging, right?' And I said 'shut up. I'm your person.' And thus the beginning of calling each other our people. She's my person, I'm her person. The person who we go to for anything and everything." I explain, reminiscing on the beginning of our long friendship.
"You guys have changed. Wait so what happened to the kid? Why did she need to put your name down?" Nathan asks.
"Oh she was going to get an abortion but it was an ectopic pregnancy and she collapsed during a surgery." I say. "Now, dance?" I ask and hold my hand out to my new husband.

We go and dance with all of our friends and family around us.

*5 months later, it's now November, the wedding was in June*

"Hey." Nathan whispers in my ear.
"Hey.  What should we do today?" I ask. "We have a couple days off, Cristina has the kids, hopefully she survives that."
"Well, we could stay in bed all day." Nathan says.
"Or, since the holidays are coming up, we could do some holiday shopping. The kids write lists for Santa and gave them to me to put in the post." I say.
"Sounds good. Where to start?" Nathan asks.
"I'm thinking Target, then DSW because they all need new shoes." I say.

We get up, and get ready. I apply a small amount of makeup just to be presentable in public and we go to Target.

"Zola has an Easy Bake oven on her list. Let's see, that's here. Holy crap that's expensive." Nathan says looking at the list and price tag.
"Babe, she's been talking about that for weeks." I say.
"I know. She better like it." Nathan says and puts one in the cart.
"Now Bailey wants a whole bunch of Matchbox cars and a track for them all. Okay. I know which ones he'll probably like." I say and go over to the Matchbox cars. I pick out five or six and out then into the cart along with a track for them.

"I think Zola wrote a few things for Ellis, she wrote a doll and clothes. Doesn't Zo have plenty of old dolls?" Nathan asks.
"Yeah, but this way Ellis will have a doll that's entirely hers and not her older sisters."  I say, picking up a doll that comes with a few items of clothing and I grab a few other boxes of clothes and put them in the cart.
I go over to the baby section and grab some warm clothes for Lexie and put those in the cart. I also grab a couple doodle boards for the kids and a few toys for Lexie to play with as she get a older, like that Fisher Price toy with the plastic rings, and the old fashioned telephone with the rolling eyes when it moves.

We try not to let the kids play with our phones or tablets because we don't want them to get addicted to using them.

"Alright, I think we're good here." Nathan says walking over to me with a cart full if the kids Christmas items.