CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Start from the beginning

I don't have long before I have to return to work so I drive a little faster to make it there in time. I park the car, grab the box from the passenger seat, and stride up towards the front doors of the practice.

Once inside, I immediately smell fluoride, a smell I despise. It reminds me of being at the dentist, having my mouth probed. Your gums are bleeding because you're not flossing enough.

I approach the receptionist desk and see the woman – Carly, is her name? – typing away into the computer. She's new to the practice, only been here about six months now.

"Good afternoon," I beam as I step towards the counter. She looks up and recognizes me immediately.
"Mrs. Waters, hello! What a pleasant surprise."
"I just thought I'd drop by and surprise Weston with lunch. Is he in his office or with a patient right now?"
Her face alters, looking puzzled. "Oh, um. I thought he was with you?"
"With me? What do you mean?"
"He left work about an hour ago. Said he was taking the day off. I assumed the two of you had plans today." She tucks a stray piece of hair behind her ear.
Weston left work? An hour ago? Why wouldn't he tell me? And better yet, where did he go?
"Oh, um," I turn and look at the clock. "So he won't be back at the office today?" I ask holding up the box of pizza.
She eyes it. "No, I don't think so. I can call him if you'd like?"
"No no, that's fine. I have to get back to work now. I'll talk to him later," I force a smile and turn to leave. "Have yourself a good day now, Carly!"
"You too, Mrs. Waters. And it's Carla!" I hear her call just as I push out the front door.

Where the hell is my husband?

____

I rush around the kitchen trying to prepare something nice for dinner. I quickly glance at Emerald who is sitting in her high chair smearing baby food over the tray in front of her. Why do babies do this? It's almost as though they enjoy the uncleanliness.

Upon arriving home from work, I put Weston's surprise pizza in the fridge. He can have it tomorrow. Tonight, I'm making us dinner. We can have a special family night – spend some time together.

I rush over to Emerald, grab some wipes, and begin cleaning up her mess. Its quarter past five, which means Weston should be home any minute. The mashed potatoes are finished and sitting on the table. The roast beef should be done momentarily. I scramble back to the stove to stir the veggies which are cooking in the pan.

Just then, I hear the oven beep, indicating that the roast is finished. I open the door and step back, allowing the heat and steam to exit, then I grab the oven mitts and pull out the large pot.

I'm leaning over the table cutting the beef when I hear the front door open. I glance at the clock – five-forty-two. Why has he been coming home so late recently? I hear the sound of the keys being hung on the rack, shoes being removed, then subtle footsteps as he enters the kitchen. He tries to hide the surprise on his face upon seeing me in the kitchen.

"You cooked dinner?"
"I did!" I smile and walk over to him. "I thought we could have a special family night." He places one hand on my waist as I lean in and kiss him, then removes it and steps back.
"Smells good. What's cooking?" he walks over to see Emerald. "Hello my beautiful girl," he leans in and swoops her up out of her highchair.
"Roast beef, potatoes, vegetables.... Emerald made quite a mess, as usual," I laugh it off. But he's not listening to me. He's bouncing her up and down in his arms, laughing while she giggles. "How was work?" I speak up.
He looks at me, then, as he hoists her into his arms. "It was good. How was your day?"
"Good. Here, have a seat," I pull out the chair for him to sit down.
He takes a seat and I gently take Emerald from his arms and place her back in the high chair.
I walk over to the oven, bring over the vegetables, and place them on the table. Then I sit down at the opposing end.
We pass around the pots, scraping out mashed potatoes and layering on loads of beef and vegetables. Finally, I pour us both a glass of zinfandel and slide his over.
He takes a sip, then looks up at me. "You didn't have to do all of this,"
"I know. I wanted to. We haven't had a nice family dinner in a while."
He smiles flatly, then turns to Emerald. "She already ate?"
"Yes. I fed her while I was cooking."
"What a good girl," he says in what can only be described as the "baby voice", and reaches his hand out to her cheek.
"So," I begin as I stab my fork into the roast. "Work was good?"
"Mhm," he takes another sip of wine before cutting into his meat.
"I stopped by," I say. "I went over to Lucenzo's for lunch. Grabbed you a pizza and went to drop it off. But Carly said you took the day off?" I say, then nonchalantly take a forkful of vegetables into my mouth.
"Oh, yes, some of the guys and I went out for lunch."
"Work guys?"
"Yeah."
I nod my head and take another bite. "Carly said she thought you were with me."
He hesitates, holding the fork halfway to his mouth. He brings it back down. "It's Carla. And that's odd. She must have been mistaken."
"Hmm," I nod. "She seems like a bright girl. I would have thought she'd notice if a few of you left together."
"It was only three of us. Me, Simon, and Greg. And we had interfering schedules, so we left separately. "
I nod my head again and smile. "Well, I guess you have lunch for tomorrow."