CHAPTER FIVE

AFTER
Cordelia Waters
Friday May 19, 2016

My cellphone rang at six a.m., which didn't disturb me considering I was up at five. I didn't sleep all night, tossing and turning, chest filled with fear and anxiety, worrisome thoughts consuming my brain. The police officer on the phone informed me that the preliminary investigation of the house was complete and we could return when we were ready.

I wake Weston, gather our things – which is just pajamas and our toothbrushes – and drive home. Not ten minutes of being home, Weston grabs his car keys and leaves. He has barely said four words to me since last night. Now he's going to drive the streets and search for our daughter. As though he'll simply find her, sitting on someone's front lawn, waiting for him. At least I've come to grips with this reality; Weston is in a state of denial. And blame. His mind is impartial to what he thinks happened to our daughter. He wants to believe that she's out there somewhere, and going to search for her is the hope that drives him. But then there's his other suspicion, and that would be me. And since there's nothing he can do here, he leaves.

____

After staring at the wall for another hour, then managing to scrape my clothes off and take a shower, I sit on the couch that faces the front window and wait, gripping my mug of coffee between my palms. I don't know what it is exactly that I'm waiting for. Something, anything.

A little while later, I see a police car pull in front of the house and I jump up, nearly spilling my third cup of coffee. I steady myself, carefully placing the mug on the table, then walk to the front door and swing it wide open, just as the officer is starting up the walkway. My chest tightens and I brace myself for whatever news he is here to tell me.

"Mrs. Waters," he says once he sees me standing there eagerly. "May I come in?"
My heart pounds through my chest. "Did you find her? Is she alright?"
"I'm sorry, ma'am, no news yet. I just need to come in and go over a few things with you."
I nod my head and step backwards, opening the door so the man can come inside. My mind fixates on the word yet.
"I'm Officer Matt Holden, the lead officer on this case." He extends his hand. I reach forward and give it a light shake. "I'm very sorry for what you're going through."
"Thank you," I manage to say. I turn and lead him into the living room. "Would you like anything to drink? Coffee?"
"I'm alright, thanks," he sits down and makes himself comfortable in the chair.
I stare at him for a moment, unsure what to do with my hands, then I sit down on the couch adjacent to him.
"Did Detective Sullivan check out any of the names I gave him?" I ask eagerly.
"That's actually why I'm here. I just wanted to discuss the details of your personal life; your close family and friends,"
"Okay."
He clears his throat and readjusts in his seat. "So on the list here," he pulls it out and holds the paper in front of him. "You only listen about a dozen names. Is that all of the people who have been here in the last few months?"
"Well, people who matter. What did you want me to write, the mailman?"
"Anyone, Mrs. Waters. At this moment, everyone is a person of interest." He pauses for a moment. "In cases of child abductions, the most common perpetrator is usually someone known by the family."
I swallow, even though my mouth is dry. "Alright," I say. He taps his pen against his leg, staring at me. "Um, well, other than those few people I wrote down, not many others come by. Weston is always busy at work. He runs his own orthodontic practice, you know,"
"Yes, he told us."
I smile flatly. "So he's usually working, and I'm either here or working. We see friends sometimes, but... not as often as we used to."
"What do you mean?"
"Before Emerald was born. We used to go out more often. But then afterwards..."
He nods his head and writes something down. "Detective Sullivan is actually going over shortly to speak with your nanny – Mrs. Mendoza – and her husband."
My heart leaps. "Why? Did something happen?"
"No, ma'am. Mrs. Mendoza is a secondary care-taker for your daughter, so it's imperative that we speak with her. Perhaps she knows something that may help us in the investigation."
"You may want to speak with Ainsley then as well. I wrote her on the list." I nod my head towards the paper in his hands. "She's our part-time sitter for weekends and other occasions."
He jots something down. "How often does she sit for you?"
"Only once in a while. If Wes and I want to go out for dinner. Or if we both get held up at work one day and Marcia needs to leave."
"Alright, I'll make sure that someone speaks with her."
I nod my head and he begins reading the list aloud. "Savannah, Colton, Dave, Marissa, Jonah, Lily – those are your parents, yes?"
"Yes."
"And, Weston's parents are..."
"Madeline and Carlisle,"
"Why is it that you didn't write their names?"
"They haven't been by in a while,"
"But they are primary family. You need to include everyone." He doesn't hide his annoyance. "Is there anyone else that you failed to include?"
I think for a moment, trying to ignore the insolence in his tone, then shake my head. "Not that I can think of."
"Who is Savannah?"
"My friend. From work."
"Does she come by often?"
"Um, sometimes. We usually grab coffee once a week, before work. We go out on weekends occasionally, but she doesn't drop by here too often, unless she's picking me up or needs to get something."
He nods and writes something in the notepad. "Can you tell me about your husband?"
"What do you mean?"
"Tell me about the two of you. How you met, what he's like..."
"I already told you, he runs his orthodontic practice, we married four years ago, he loves Emerald. So much. She's his pride and joy. What else do you want to know?"
"How did the two of you meet?"
"What is the relevance?"
He sighs. "I'm just trying to get an idea. See the larger picture here."
I bite my lip, then nod my head, thinking back all those years ago. "We met when I was a freshman at Northwestern. He was in his third year."
"What were you studying?"
"I did a Bachelors of Art and Science before getting my degree in Computer Science."
"And he was going for..."
"His undergrad in science. He got his Masters and PhD afterwards."
Officer Holden writes something down, then looks back up at me, expecting me to continue talking.
"He was actually, um," I smile to myself. "He was dating another girl when we first met. Hannah, I think her name was. But Weston and I had a psychology class together – don't ask me what I was doing taking a third year psych class in first year. But," I smile again. "We became really good friends and something more grew out of it. Eventually he broke up with Hannah and we started dating."
"So the two of you were involved while he was still dating her?"
I'm taken back by his question. "Yes," I pause, feeling the warmth come to my cheeks. I'm embarrassed. Guilty. "I never intended to be one of those homewreckers. But... we don't choose who we love. Or when. And sometimes it's inconvenient. That's all I have to say."
He writes something down and I lean in, trying to read what he's writing. He looks up at me and subtly pulls the notepad closer to his lap.
"What are you writing? That I'm a homewrecker? That has absolutely no relevance to what is happening now."
"Mrs. Waters, have you ever heard the saying... oh how's it go? If he will cheat with you, he will have no problem cheating on you."
I stare at him, trying to analyze his words. "What are you implying?"
"Has Weston ever been unfaithful? Could there possibly be another woman involved?"
"No," I say without hesitation. "Weston would never cheat on me. Our marriage is perfectly fine. He loves me and he loves Emerald and he values this family. Why would you even ask such a thing?"
"It's just a question, ma'am. If there are any other factors that need to be considered, we need to know."
"Well there isn't. I can tell you that for certain. Weston loves me. You should focus on the neighbors. Or Weston's co-workers. Maybe they had something to do with this."

I say these words with conviction. But who am I trying to convince of this: the officer, or myself?

____

Officer Holden leaves and I can't say that I'm sad to see him go. He promises to keep me updated. He explained that they're going to talk to everyone they can: my parents, Weston's parents, our friends, coworkers, neighbours – everyone. He also informed me that they put out an Amber Alert last night, so now the public can join the search for my daughter as well.

I hope that wherever Emerald is, she's okay. Maybe this is one big misunderstanding. Maybe she's safe somewhere, in the home of a friend. Maybe someone came over and took her for a little visit to give me a break.

But that possibility seems highly unlikely. I just pray she's not in the arms of danger, locked in a room somewhere, crying for her mother.

I hope she's alive.