CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

AFTER
Detective Gerard Sullivan
Saturday May 20, 2016

I signal left then turn onto the Waters' street. Just as I'm approaching the house, I see that we have company. Multiple cars and vans congregate in front of the house, news anchors and camera crews waiting outside like a starving pack of wolves.

I park on the side of the road and brace myself for the storm. As soon as I open my door, lenses and microphones are shoved into my face.
"Excuse me, detective, can you give us an update on the Waters' case?"
"Detective! Over here! Have you located the body of the missing child yet?"
"Is it true that the mother is the main person of interest in the Emerald Waters' case?"
"Can you give us an update on the status of Mr. Waters?"
"Do you know where the child is?"
"Can you give a word on Savannah Valentine?"

I walk forward, keeping my face neutral as I repeat the words "no comment." How did they already find out about the Savannah lead? Someone must have leaked information. Fuck. Now we have a PR problem on our hands.

I rush into the house and close the door tightly behind me. Holden notices me and comes over. He gives me a quick update, letting me know that the parents arrived a couple of hours ago and are in the other room watching television. But now for the real reason I'm here: the search warrant.

After leaving Savannah's place, I got a judge to grant me a warrant for any and all property, possessions, and belongings owned by Weston Waters. If he is indeed hiding something, it won't be long before I find it.
"Where's Weston?" I say to Holden.
"No idea."
"He's not here?"
"Don't believe so. The wife said he was out grabbing dinner."
"Great." I say.

Holden finds Cordelia and vacates her from the premise while I begin my search. They can't go far due to the ankle bracelet and the zoo of paparazzi out front, so he takes her to the back porch. She protests at first, telling me that I have no right to search their home. But she eventually accepts this fate and willingly vacates, knowing all too well the consequences of arguing with me.

I begin with the living room, going through drawers and cabinets, not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I go through the kitchen, seeing if I can spot anything out of the ordinary. Any kind of clue or piece of evidence that can point me to something.

Next, I move to Weston and Cordelia's bedroom. If he's hiding something, surely it will be in here. Anything that can explain why he lied, and continues to lie, to both me and the police department. Something isn't adding up here.

That's when I spot it – the laptop sitting on his night stand. I walk over and perch myself at the edge of the bed, grabbing the laptop. I open it and am brought to the lock screen. Fuck. There's a password.

My moment of disappointment is only temporary as I soon remember Meredith Younger. She'll have no problem getting into this thing and finding anything of value.

_____

I show up at the station, Weston's laptop in hand. I head directly to Younger's office and take a seat next to her desk. She's been awaiting my arrival.

"Let's have a look, shall we?" she says, taking the laptop from my hands.

She puts it on her desk and opens it. Within seconds, she's through the firewall and into his system.

"That easy, huh?" I say to her.
"It's easier on a PC than it is a Mac."
"Remind me never to leave you alone with my personal belongings," I joke. She laughs.
I slide my chair closer to her and lean in to get a better look.