Part 24 - 26th June 1969

Start from the beginning

"You seem to have caught a severe chill out there lass. What's your name dear?"

"er..Lucy. But I need to go."

"No Lucy. Stay here for tonight and we can try to get a message to your husband so he'll not worry about you."

"Please, don't tell Paul. I really do need to get into town. I need to get the Edinburgh train." She managed to stand once more. "See I'm fine." She looked around for her shoes but stumbled once more. This time she fell, knocking her head against an old oak rocking chair and leaving a dark angry gash at the side.

"That'll be needing stiches love." said woman, holding a clean cloth on the wound. Then despite Lucy's protests, she called to her husband to get the doctor.

It took about half an hour before Dr Robertson arrived. By then the cut had stopped bleeding and Lucy lay dozing on the sofa. He was taken aback when he saw Lucy there and, mindful of her recent positive pregnancy test, very concerned. Taking in her head injury and the very strange tale of her hiking across country to get into town, he decided the best course of action was to admit Lucy into the hospital overnight. She has helped into his car and settled onto the back seat wrapped in blankets before being driven to the hospital.

Tests were immediately carried out and revealed Lucy to be severely dehydrated, suffering from exhaustion and signs of hypothermia. She was placed in a bed with several hot water bottles and lots of blankets before being attached to a drip. Once settled the doctor told Lucy he was going to call her husband. She immediately became hysterical, begging him not to call Paul.

"I need my dad!" she begged, sobbing now, "My marriage to Paul is over. I want to go home to my father. Call him PLEASE, not Paul!"

Finally, unable to calm Lucy down, promises were made to call Daniel first thing the following day. Lucy was the given a mild sedative which finally calmed her enough to sleep.

Lucy slowly opened her eyes, completely disorientated. She moved her head and winced. She had forgotten about her injury the previous evening. A young nurse approached her bed.

"Good Morning. How are you feeling today?"

Lucy smiled weakly. "I'm OK." she croaked, her throat parched and sore. The nurse helped her take a drink of water before settling her down and covering her up once more. "The doctor will be round to see you soon Mrs McCartney. Please rest until then."

Lucy nodded and felt her eyes close once more.

Later, she felt someone stroking her hand, convinced she was dreaming, she tried to move it away. Someone held her hand tightly. She struggled against the grip and then suddenly woke up. The world slowly came into focus.

"Hello Lucy my love." said a soft familiar voice. It was Paul.

"Leave me alone!" she croaked. "Go away!"

"Oh Lucy love, I'm so sorry about yesterday. I was such an idiot. I promise things will be different!"

"Doctor!" Lucy tried to shout. "Help!" She groped for the call button and pressed it, still continuing to shout for help.

The doctor and a nurse came rushing into her room.

"Make him go away!" she told then. She began to shout and cry, "Please, I don't want him here!" Nothing would calm her until the doctor had no option but to force Paul to leave her room. He checked Lucy over following her upset.