I hang up the phone, a string of disordered thoughts roaming around my mind. Why didn't Cordelia mention this before? She made it seem like everything was fine between them. And no one else that I spoke to seemed to have anything negative to say. Only positive things. They are so happy. So in love. Picture-Perfect.

It's possible that no one knew. It's also possible that they sorted things out. Liam said he spoke with Cordelia a month ago. Could they have sorted out whatever problems they were facing by then?

____

We walk into the office just as Ashby and Weston are leaving. Savannah Valentine follows behind me, looks around for a chair, then decides to stand-lean against the desk. I stand adjacent to her and bring out my notepad.

"Ms. Valentine," I begin. "Were you born with that surname?"
"No," a coy smile appears. "I was born a Howard. But that name brings back terrible memories. My parents were not good people. I had it legally changed when I was eighteen."
"What made you choose Valentine?"
"I've always thought it was a lovely word."
"It is indeed," I break momentarily. "How long have you known Cordelia?"
"A couple of years now,"
"So you've been with District Systems long?"
"Three years. I met her when I first started."
"I see. How do you like working there?"
"I love it. I'm really happy there. My job is pretty awesome, so,"
"Does Cordelia have many other friends at work?"
"Um, sort of. I mean, there's work-friends, and then there's friends-you-see-at-work. Cordelia and I are friends both inside the office walls, and outside. We have a closer friendship. But then there's the work-friends, who you are friendly with, but your relationship doesn't extend beyond the office."
"Is she close with many other of your co-workers, besides you?"
"Our one friend, Tessa. But she's always busy with her family and doesn't come out too much anymore. Other than that, I don't think Cordy is close with many others. She's very reserved – likes to keep to herself and such."
"Were you aware of her postpartum psychosis?"
"Yes. I came to visit her a few times. I know how difficult it was for her."
"So you're familiar with Emerald and the family?"
"Yes, somewhat. Emerald is a darling. Looks just like Cordy." She stops for a moment, looking down at her feet. "I can't believe this is happening." She meets my eyes. "Who would do such a thing?"
"That's what I'm here to find out. Are you close with her husband?"
"I wouldn't say close. He's a nice guy. But when Cordy and I get together, he's usually not around, or she's trying to escape the household, if you know what I mean."
"No, I don't."
She pauses and smiles. "You know... all marriages need a break sometimes. So we like to go out and just have fun."
"Define fun?"
"Go out, have a few drinks, see a movie maybe. Cordelia likes going to the movies."
"Do you do this often?"
"No, not really. But like I said, sometimes a wife just needs to get away and let loose sometimes."
This comment strikes me as odd. Cordelia doesn't seem like the type to go out and let loose. She's conservative, likes her privacy. From what I can tell, at least.
"Oher than the times you say she needs to let loose, how would you describe their marriage?"
"Healthy. Honest. I'm not around that much to be a good judge of that, but from what I can see on the occasion that I do, they seem fine. Happy."
"Do they seem happy?"
"Yes. From what I can tell."
"Does Cordelia ever talk about her marriage? Or Emerald?"
"Not really. As I said, we try to escape from our personal lives."
"So Cordelia has never mentioned anything negative about her marriage? Wanting to escape it? Mentioned anything that made her upset?"
"No. Nothing. She and Weston are fine. What I meant by escaping was just, you know, girl time. Every woman needs it."
"Are you married?"
"Heavens no."
"You say that like marriage is a bad thing."
She laughs, her white teeth exposed through pink lips. "Not necessarily a bad thing. Just not for me. I don't like to be tied down."
"I see. So you steer clear from all relationships?"
"I didn't say that. I have boyfriends. Monthly, annually, whatever. They don't usually stick around long."
"Why is that?"
She shrugs. "I'm just not big on commitment."
"Alright, and do you know if Cordelia or Weston have any enemies? Someone who might want to do something like this?"
"God no. They're both good people. I can't even imagine why someone would take a child. A baby. It's horrible."
"One last question, Ms. Valentine. Why did it take you a day and a half to come over here? I mean, I'd assumed since you and Cordelia are close, you would have come over yesterday. Or the night Emerald went missing, even."
She stares at me for a moment. "She didn't call me until yesterday, and I was out of town at a business meeting."
"Business meeting? Whereabouts?"
"Oh, I guess I should have mentioned this before. I'm a wedding planner, on the side. I was meeting with a couple yesterday out in Chicago." She explains. I write this down, and wonder why exactly she didn't mention it before. "So the earliest I could come was today. I came as soon as I could."

____

This investigation is going absolutely nowhere. No evidence. No solid leads. Nothing. All I have is a successful drug-bust, a mysterious car, and a desperate-to-prove-her-innocence mother. So, nothing.

I need to get back to my office, get some caffeine, and figure this out. The first forty-eight hours are almost up and the clock is ticking. We're running out of time.

I tell Cordelia that I'll keep her updated, then I give Ashby a wave before I head out. I'm walking to the car, which is parked on the street, when I see the man next door knelt down in his garden. Looks like he's digging up weeds. This must be the neighbor Cordelia mentioned before. Dave, I think it was. Ashby and Holden did preliminary statements with all of the neighbors yesterday, but I should speak with him, get a feel for myself.

"Good morning," I say, standing over him.
He squints up at me, hand above his eyes to block the sun. "Oh, hi there!" He stands up quickly. "You must be investigating the disappearance of the Waters' girl."
"I am. I'm Detective Sullivan. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"
"Of course! I'm Dave. Dave Harvey," he sticks out his hand, then realizes instantaneously that his glove is filled with dirt from gardening. He rips it off his hand, laughs slightly, and sticks his hand back out. I give it a firm shake.
"How well do you know the Waters?" I ask.
"Just about as well as you can know a neighbor. I mean, we're not super close or anything. But we're friendly. They come over to our place in the summertime for barbecues. My wife and Cordelia get along well. They love their soap operas."
"What is your wife's name?"
"Gillian."
I write this down. "Would you say that Mr. and Mrs. Waters get along well?"
"Oh yes, lovely couple they are. Always very cheerful and upbeat. Like one of those picture-perfect families you see on TV. They have the good-paying jobs, a big fancy house, the white picket fence, one little girl. They're living the dream."
"So they don't argue or fight?"
"Not that I know of. Every time they've been to my place they're always cuddled up in each other's arms."
"Do you and your wife ever go to their place?"
"Erm, not really. Been there once for a Christmas get-together. Nice place. They had renovations done about two years ago. Real nice kitchen," he pauses. "I actually haven't seen em around as often as before. I saw the baby a few times, whenever Weston would bring her out. But I haven't seen Cordelia. Weston said she was sick recently?"
"Yes. She wasn't well for a few months."
"Oh, is she alright now?"
"I believe so."
"Do you know what she was sick with?"
"I'm not really at liberty to say. I just have one last question, then I'll let you go."
"Sure, what is it?"
"Do you happen to know anyone that owns a red Impala? Or have you seen one in this area before?"
"Hmmm, red Impala? Not that I can recall."
"What about on Thursday afternoon? Could you recall if you saw any unfamiliar vehicles on the street?"
He thinks about this. "Uhh, nope. Nothing out of the ordinary." He glances out towards their driveway. "Just those two cars that are in the driveway now."
I follow his gaze and spot Cordelia's BMW as well as the white Ford Explorer that Savannah pulled up in.
"Those two vehicles there?" I ask. "Are you sure? Mr. Waters drives a Mercedes."
"I'm fairly certain, because my wife wants one of those Explorers in white. I haven't seen it around lately, assumed it was new."
"What time did you see the vehicle there?"
"It musta been around noon, because I was taking my daughter back to school from her lunch break."
"Twelve o'clock? On Thursday? You're certain?"
"Yes. Why what –"

I turn away from Dave and dart back across the lawn, up the steps, and into the house. Savannah lied to me. If what Dave said is true, then that means she was at the house Thursday morning. Fifteen minutes after Cordelia logged out of work for the day and never logged back in.