seventeen

Silence. 

Silence was all that came out of Katelynne's open mouth. Tears weld up in my eyes and leaked out, streaking down my cheeks. 

"Mom?" I asked again, my voice breaking as I looked at her. 

"What happened? Mom?" Rowan asked looking up at Katelynne too. 

"I-  I have some bad news. Where's Liam?" Katelynne was in tears as she stared at the ground, avoiding eye contact with any of us. 

"R-right here." Liam announced from behind Kellin. 

I gave him a panicked look. I needed to know where Copeland was. 

He jerked his head toward the direction of my room. I nodded and then we all headed to the living room. I nervously sat in between my two brothers as Katelynne stood in front of us. 

"Boys, Karson. I know that your dad and I have been fighting a lot recently and well, we've decided it's better if we just were't together anymore." 

My heart skipped a beat and I glanced between Rowan and Liam while my brain processed everything. Slowly, I came to the realization that this meant I wouldn't be able to see Katelynne or my brothers after this. 

I broke down in tears as my brothers hugged onto me and cried as well. 

----------

The three of us spent the next three weeks together as much as possible, staying up well into the AM and staying outside on the trampoline, starring at the sky, laughing about memories, abandoning any and all electronics, the internet, and even our friends. We had watched all the animated Tim Burton movies we could find in the basement, in a blanket fort, and made Vic bring us food. Another day, we found a bunch of board games and played them, ending in a trashed basement we had to clean. We didn't mind , though. It meant more spending time with each other. Of course we had alone time too. It was some of the best memories I had. 

The day before they left, Katelynne took us to do paintball with a few others.  

once inside the range, I immediately hid behind a metal trash can covered in paint splatters and kept a look out for any enemies.

"Kar-"

I cut Liam off by jumping slightly. 

"Jesus dude, jump-scare me much?"

Liam laughed and shoved my shoulder, peeking around our hide out to find out if people were after us. 

With wide eyes, he gesture for me to follow him. I did so as we crouched low enough to still somewhat jog as we made our way to the next barrier. 

On the way I could see Justin so I kept an eye on him while  I crouch behind a wall that was once white. 

Positioning my paintball gun like a sniper, I shot Justin as he turned away from me. 

I fell to the dusty ground in a fit of laughter after the bright pink ball of paint hit Justin in the butt.  

"Karson! You're gonna get us caught!" Liam struggled to say between laughs until he cracked and fell to the ground with me. We heard footsteps approach but we continued to laugh.

After clearing their throat we look up to see our target we just hit. 

"Hi" I grin cheekily, already stood up. Justin gave me a sarcastic smile and I smiled back. 

"Run?" I hear Liam ask and I nod, turning and get in a running position. 

"Run!" I yell as we run to another barrier away from Justin. The whole time we were being shot at and I was laughing the whole time. 

Why Liam and I chose to team up against 10 people, I have no idea but I was having the time of my life. 

See, we only brought ourselves (Me, Liam, Rowan, and Katelynne) Justin, and Gabe ( from sleeping..of course), then another family of six were here and we were like 'hey just wanna join us' 

So yeah...

Anyways, after two hours of paintball, I finally got the other team's flag while covered in paint. 

Well, at least the protective stuff you wear when you paintball was covered in paint. 

The family of six had quit half way through but still, I won at something!  

In celebration we went out for ice cream. 

It was depressing when we got back home and the realization I was loosing my brothers and mom hit me all at once as Rowan and Liam went to their pretty much empty rooms. 

I let the long-coming tears fall down my face as I stare up at my ceiling. 

It was 3 in the morning.

I heard the beginning of Copeland crying and sighed, getting off my bed and walking to her crib in the nursery that was on the other half of my room. 

Picking her up, I figure out what her problem was and quickly fixed it, Spraying Febreze around my room before  picking Copeland up again and sitting in the rocking chair by her makeshift crib. 

I had no idea when it was decided but turns out that Kellin adopted Copeland after the court decided Keliez could not raise her. It was also decided that her nursery was in my room. 

All of this happened during the three weeks that Katelynne had given herself to move her and the boys out. 

I sighed and looked down to see Copeland's baby face. Smiling as she reached her tiny baby finger for my hair, I gave her my finger and let her tiny hands hold onto it. 

"We're gonna be alright, baby Cope." 

I kissed the top of her head while getting up again. She still wasn't asleep but I wanted to at least try to get some sleep myself so I gently rocked her and laid her in her crib as I softly sang Rodger Rabbit. A few tears escape my eyes as I made my way back to bed, laying on my side and pulling the blankets up to my shoulder. 

I had a hell of a lot more tears to shed tomorrow.

A/N: Sorry it takes me forever to update but just to be clear, IT'S ALMOST SUMMER IN THIS STORY