25. Rick and Roxie, Part Two

Freddie

Without a word, I took her hand and shook it, just barely managing a tight-lipped smile. As I did, I could feel the gold ring round her finger- so cool to the touch, yet it burned my hand.  I was totally unprepared for this.  It never rains but it pours, the saying goes.  Fuck, but wasn't I living that out to a T lately.

Roxanne Brazzi.  It was she.

And all I could think were the words: You don't know me. You don't know me. You don't know me.

She blinked when I still didn't say anything. "That is your name, isn't it? Richard? That's what Julia told me."

I nodded quickly, but kept my lips thoroughly sealed.

"Oh, good!" she smiled, sizing me up -and a little too carefully at that, I thought. "Thought maybe I misheard her there.  She seems so distracted lately.  Julia's my cousin, by the way, that's how we even- yeah."

"Mm," I shrugged.  I was afraid to speak, to so much as open my mouth- for if my voice didn't give me away, my teeth would.  Thank God, I'd been smart enough to do away with my moustache; that was yet another reason to be grateful for Mr. Phantom. 

She stood there waiting for an uncomfortable bit of time, till finally she cleared her throat.  "So-is Danny home? You know, uh- the little boy?  With glasses?" Roxie drew imaginary circles around her eyes with her finger.

"Mm-hm," I nodded, then pointed downstairs. Thankfully, she understood.

"Great!"  Hoisting her rather large purse further up her shoulder, Roxie tossed me one more curious glance, then moved toward the staircase, calling Danny's name.

After a pause, Danny came stomping upstairs.  "Konnichiwa, Roxie!" he smiled, giving her a polite little hug.  "You got it done?"

"I got it done." She gestured toward the front door.  "It's out in my car."

"Aww.  You came in your car?"

"Come on, Danny.  You know things don't hang up near as nice on the bike."

Danny turned to me.  "She rides a motorcycle.  It's really cool."

I felt ridiculous, not talking like I knew I ought to, but again I merely nodded, holding the smile.

Roxie frowned.  Apparently she couldn't stand it any longer.  "Doesn't your friend here talk, Danny?"

"Sure he does!" the boy said brightly. 

"I mean, does he speak English?"

"Yeah," Danny replied.  "He says lots of stuff.  Japanese, too, but mostly English."  Suddenly a clever grin curved his mouth as he folded his arms with pride.  "Oh- and I'll bet you'll never guess who he is, either!"

My smile froze. 

Danny.  My dear boy.  Sweet innocent Mr. Phantom.  What the hell are you doing?

"Who he is?" Roxie looked confused. 

"Uh-huh," he nodded knowingly.  "Here's a hint: he sings."

A slow smile started making its way across her lips.  "He does?"  She looked back at me.  "I mean- you do?"

Gone was my poker face.  I could feel my eyes pop wide and the blood leave my cheeks.  Ah, the poor boy.  He was being childish and taunting- so in other words, he was acting like me.  And he clearly didn't know how much danger he was putting me in at present.

"He sings great!" Danny kept gushing.  "Can you guess who is?"

"I- thought his name was Richard.  Richard Dumont, right?"