Video games

Jared was sitting on Connor's lap on the living room floor, playing video games on his PS4. It was some sort of zombie game from what Connor could tell, but what he did know for sure was that Jared was good at it because he was humming. Jared always hummed when he was doing well in a game. Connor had no clue if Jared was aware that he did it, but Connor wouldn't dare ask him for fear that it'd make the humming stop.

    Connor sighed and rested his head on Jared's shoulder, silently watching him play. Jared's fingers moved gracefully on the controller, he didn't even need to look at the buttons to know where they were, unlike Connor. Jared was leaning forward, all his concentration on the TV as Connor began playing with his hair. Knowing that Jared wouldn't notice until later, Connor began giving Jared tiny braids in his short hair. He had finished four braids when the humming stopped.

    "Damn it!" Jared cussed, his grip tightening on the controller. The tv flashed the words: YOU DIED, RESTART LEVEL? Jared looked like he wanted to throw the controller. Connor undid the braids in Jared's hair and shushed him.

    "Hey, it's okay." Connor cooed, kissing Jared on the top of his head.

    "But I've been playing for the last hour." Jared slumped against Connor.

    "Then take a break." Connor sighed, his head reaching down to plant a soft kiss against Jared's neck. Jared immediately relaxed his grip on the controller and turned himself around so he was facing Connor.

    "You mean like play a different game?" Jared teased Connor. Connor scrunched up his face.

    "I mean I guess you could call it that, but that's weird." Connor chuckled, pulling Jared closer and pressing their lips together. After a second, Connor pulled away.

    "Do you feel better?" He asked, his hand ruffling Jared's hair. Jared nodded at Connor.

    "Do you want to play with me this time?" Jared reached over and grabbed a matching controller.

    "Well if you think you're going to win with me playing you're sadly mistaken." Connor chuckled, accepting the controller. Jared turned to face the TV again.

    "Maybe not, but you'll keep me sane while I win." Jared said, leaning against Connor. Connor rested his head on top of Jared's and held the controller so Jared was between his arms. The game began and Connor realized Jared had never taught him to play this one before. He could hardly walk let alone fight zombies. After a few minutes of stumbling around, Connor felt Jared's hands slide over his own, helping him control his character.

    "You press this button to shoot." Jared instructed, pressing down Connor's finger to hit the button.

    "Seems easy enough." Connor smirked.

    "Wait till you have a whole swarm of these little disasters surrounding you." Jared sighed, taking his hands away from Connor's.

    "You know, the zombie apocalypse would sound a lot less threatening if we called it the these little disasters apocalypse." Connor chuckled, starting to kill off zombies on his own. Jared rolled his eyes playfully.

    "Quit mocking the zombie apocalypse, it's gonna happen!" Jared insisted, shaking his head. Connor paused for a second when he realized Jared had started humming again, then quickly continued teasing him.

    "Oh definitely, it'll be same day I wear all neon and shave my head." Connor laughed, he earned a new gun in the game and was bit by a zombie soon after, it turns out that even though a gun is new, that doesn't mean it's good.

    "I will hold you to that statement." Jared told Connor as he revived him.

    "Please do." Connor kissed the top of Jared's head. "You cry when I change my shampoo scent."

    "To be fair Connor, who likes the smell of oranges mixed with walnuts?" Jared huffed. "I mean, what kind of scene are they trying to set with those two scents?"

    "God, you are such a nerd." Connor laughed.

    "Wait, I got it! They were trying to make you imagine you were stranded on a desert island and-" Jared was suddenly attacked from behind by a zombie. He was quickly able to kill it and continue complaining to Connor, who thought it was adorable.

    An hour later, the two had beaten the level. Jared pumped his fist in the air.

    "We did it!" He laughed, turning back to kiss Connor.

    "Good job, Jared." Connor mumbled against Jared's lips.

    "Great job, Connor." Jared smiled. "You should play with me all the time."