Chapter 46 - "It doesn't mean it's okay."

Start from the beginning

A deep, angry growl made them both freeze.

"Get away from my daughter before I shoot you."

Donovan jerked away as if Carter was made of fire. Before he stepped out of reach, she grabbed his hand, lacing her fingers through his. She turned her gaze to her father, an amused smile cutting across her face.

"Captain, you know Donovan," she said, her tone light, "He's a Marine."

Her father's scowl deepened. Carter's smile widened as Donovan tightened his hold on her hand.

"Do you hate me, Sarge?" he asked.

"I say we give him a chance," she said. "He did just save my life. I say if he can't last five minutes in a fight with you, you can shoot him."

Donovan looked at her. "Thanks."

Her smile was playful. "Don't worry, he will probably only shoot you in the shoulder. Not a big deal. Besides you'll have a cool scar and all girls love that."

With his eyes captured by hers, Donovan seemed to forget about her father. His lips curved upward.

"Does that include you?" he asked.

"It does."

He shifted closer to her.

"Then I'll shoot you now," Carter's father said, "and you can have that scar."

Donovan was jolted back into the awareness of her father. The scowl was there, but it lacked any true malice. He gave a nod towards the school.

"I came to collect you," Carter's father said. "The school is cleared. We're about to go retrieve your charge."

Dropping Carter's hand, Donovan cleared his throat. He straightened, trying to regain a sense of professionalism. Carter's father didn't look impressed. "On the way there we'll have a little chat."

Donovan's eyes flicked to Carter for half a second. She tried to give him a reassuring smile, but laughter was hidden in her face. Steeling himself, he walked towards her father. Steve placed a hand on his shoulder. Carter could tell by the shift in Donovan's stance that the hold was close to bone crushing.

She smiled to herself and pulled the blanket closer, watching as they disappeared. A minute later, a group of men, including her father and Donovan, entered the school. Her gaze stayed trained on the doors, waiting. The minutes passed with no movement from the entrance, but a steady flow of activity around her.

An increase in volume from the beyond the gates pulled Carter's attention away. A convoy of cars, bearing the Presidential flags, arrived. The SUVs blocking the gates pulled away and allowed entrance. Once the cars were through the SUVs returned to their original positioning, shielding the view from onlookers, which didn't quiet the shouts from reporters, their faces eager and in need of more information. The line of vehicles stopped, but no one emerged. Deputy Townsend walked over to the center car and spoke with someone inside.

The distant sound of the doors opening snapped Carter's focus back. A pack of men in black stepped out of the school. Their bodies were too closely pressed together to see what they were shielding. Carter strained her gaze to catch a glimpse of Link or Donovan. When they were under the cover of the makeshift city of vehicles, the unit separated.

Donovan and Carter's father led Link away, blocking him from the prying cameras with their joined body mass. The trio stopped before Carter. A wide grin split her mouth as she looked into Link's groggy face. He blinked a few times, still trying to wake himself up. Removing his glasses, he rubbed the palms of his hands into his eyes. When he was more alert, he replaced them. His eyes focused on Carter and a matching smile pulled at his sleepy expression.