Part 22 - 20th March 1969

Start from the beginning

"Well, for tonight I'll sleep in the living room. If we stoke the fire up I'll be fine with the blanket from the car over me." She told him, "Then tomorrow morning we can both go into town and get new bedding and other thing we didn't bring with us!"

"But where will I sleep? There's not enough room on the sofa for both of us?"

"Use the bed. Paul, I've told you, I don't mind your past but I refuse to sleep in that bed with used bedding on it!"

The following day Lucy and Paul headed into Campbeltown, the local town. Lucy was immediately enchanted with the small shops that lined the high street. Even more amazing was the fact that they could wander down the road as a couple, completely ignored by passers by!

"They've always been really nice to me," Paul told her when she commented on the fact. "The local kids have asked for autographs and photos but they're really polite and nice. They don't hassle or be rude. I love it here!"

Paul took her to a small shop that sold household goods. "You go and decide on bedding and stuff love," he told her, "I'm going to catch you up in a few minutes. OK?"

"What about colours though?"

"I was thinking we could repaint the whole house love, " said Paul, "Make it our home together, so you decide. Get curtains too, and towels. Whatever you fancy!" He grinned at her surprised face, "It's our first home together Lucy. Let's enjoy it!"

Later, the pair met up again.

"Where did you go?" she asked him curiously.

He grinned. "Wait and see!" He kissed her. "Hungry?"

She nodded.

"Let's go to the pub for lunch then!"

Astonished, Lucy followed him into the local pub where the locals waved to Paul as he came in. He went over to them and said hello, clearly recognizing them. He then introduced Lucy to them, as his wife! Lucy tried to hide her surprise.

"Your wife?" She asked him quietly once they were sat alone. "Why?"

Paul took her hand and squeezed it. "They're a bit straight laced up here Lucy love. They can be a bit funny with you if they think you're just my girlfriend. They were with Jane, but if we're going to be here for a while, I thought it would make things easier for you. You don't mind do you? I should have mentioned it."

"No, not really Paul but...," she stopped.

"But what love?"

She held up her left hand. "I don't have a wedding ring!"

He grinned and asked her to hold out her hand. She did as he asked. He dropped something into her hand. "This is for you. To show you that I will love you forever. We can get married for real whenever you want Lucy. I know you want to wait a bit longer before we do. I really didn't want to rush things or put pressure on you."

She opened her hand to find a full diamond eternity ring sitting there. It was beautiful. "Oh Paul!"

"Will that go well with your engagement ring until I give you the necessary gold band?"

She leaned over and kissed him. "I think it will do perfectly well!" She slipped her engagement ring from her finger, put the new ring on then returned her engagement ring to its proper place. Paul kissed her hand. "Well Mrs McCartney," he grinned, "It looks stunning, just like you!"

A month after leaving London, Lucy lay in bed, relaxed and happy. Paul was fast asleep next to her, tired from their afternoon of making love whilst it poured with rain outside. The change in Paul had been remarkable since they had moved from London. He was happy, he'd even started singing and playing the guitar again! They'd spent the last month turning the run down cottage into a pleasant home. New paint covered the walls. Pretty curtains and new carpets added to the cosiness and a new double bed filled the tiny bedroom. Lucy had now fallen in love with the house. It felt like home.