22: The Whispering

Tyler

I sit quietly, dark hair falling over my right eye as I stare at the floor. The sun was shining brightly today, yet its warmth was lost to me. It did not come over me in comfort and relaxation. It's warm, radiant rays were like ghosts to me, washing over and through me as I sat in my chair quietly. Around me, people were chattering and laughing as they started their day. Justin and Caedmon were talking with Merman quietly, joking and laughing, Lewis walking around talking with other Recruits about their uniforms and things, and it was quite like I didn't exist. Like I was a Ghost. It was just another day for them, one that they'll groan and mutter about by the end.

Not for me.

I gently turn my arm over, staring down at the black tattoo running along its length, eyes filling with pain and grief as I stare longingly down at the beautiful marking. I remember not so long ago, how it swirled and danced. How it glowed so beautifully. When I felt the thoughts of another, so sweet and loving, brush against mine whenever I touched it. When the Tattoo actually meant something. A beautiful voice from an equally beautiful Dragon speaking so softly within my mind, calling for me to wake up. A loving smile greeting me in the morning, and when I got home from training. I remember it all like it was yesterday...

Well, it was yesterday.

Today, I am numb. I feel nothing. The world goes by, and I find no interest in following along with its flow. I find no intrigue, no motivation to do what I loved to do. I find no fascination in what once intrigued me. My dark green eyes gently glance up as someone touches my shoulder, and I see Justin looking down at me with a small, comforting smile. "Hey..."

I just smile a little, not really able to get my voice to work. No words would even amount to a small Hello. Not today. I couldn't even bring myself to nod, which, folks, is pretty sad. Justin sits down gently beside me, looking down for a moment as he seems to think of what to say. Just that alone gave me some kind of comfort. Someone, besides Caedrienth, Ember, and Mardu, cared that Saber was dead.

"I heard about Saber." He starts, then looks at me. "I am so... so sorry..." Justin whispers and touches my shoulder. "She was a great little dragon. So mature and proud of herself."

I look over at him, his glowing purple eyes filled with the same sadness as my green eyes, the same pain. They held his condolences, his comfort, and yet, I could only stare blankly at him. Like I was just disconnected from the world, and he was saying something foreign. He smiles comfortingly and gently runs his hand over to my back, rubbing there, and I look at the ground again.

"She was rather beautiful, too. Kind and compassionate. You and her saved Cade and I. We won't forget it. We won't forget her. I know that we weren't partners for very long, and we burned pretty bad when in contact, but... I can say this with certainty." He says, and I look up at him again. "Being partners with you and Saber.... You two are, by far, the coolest Partners I could ever ask for."

Damn you, Justin. You're melting a broken heart. I smile softly at him as I gently move and place a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it gently. Did he really feel that way? We sit there for a long moment, smiling like two idiots for a moment before he gets up.