11: The Angel with Black Scales

-Saber P.O.V.-

Luck is all Aces.

I can tell you that much, right now. I feel free, oh so free! The wind blowing over me as I run, no one to yell at me, no pain coming from my body, and best of all, I am alone...

Alone in the peaceful silence that the night air bestows upon my ears. I sigh happily as I trounce through the snow, giggling to myself as I stumble and roll down a snowy incline. Oh, the cold snow feels so good against my scales and my feathered wings. I clamber to my feet and grin, looking around to try and find a clearing. I knew it would be perfect to try and fly now, since there was fresh snowfall, and it would cushion me if I were to crash. And I wanted to show off a bit on Flight Day. I so want to show Jakaress and those Boiler-Brains that they can hurt my body, but never my spirit. Never will they break me to where I give up, NEVER!

I let myself start singing gently in Draconian, making up some nonsensical songs as I dance along through the snow, flapping my wings occasionally and giggling. I would fly this night! I will fly this night! I grin as I spot a clearing, perfect for my needs. Lots of snow, a large log to get up and run on, curved like a ramp on the end to jump off of, just the perfect length for a Run-Way. I feel myself buzz with energy and I race into the clearing, laughing happily. 'I AM GOING TO FLY, AND I AM GOING TO BEAT YOU ALL! HAHA!'

Thankfully, the darkness does not reply.

That would be weird.

I slow to a stop, looking around the clearing. It was about the size of the training dome, kinda like a Clock how it was laid out. I could just imagine it from the air... And hopefully see it all the same from the air.

The Run-Way Log was Twelve O'Clock... and a quarter of the way around the clearing to my left was a small rock jutting from the ground. That, I believe, would be Three O'Clock.

Directly ahead of me, if I stand with tail to Twelve, is a small frozen pond with a stream coming down into it from within the woods. That seems to be Six O'Clock.

And to my Right, there is a small nest-like creation, made of ice, twigs and sticks. I wonder for a moment if it was, at some point, a small nest for an Ice Dragon or something. I mark that as my Nine O'Clock position.

Okay, now that I found this, I gotta use it. But I had to be careful, since I know that Mardu would likely be patrolling somewhere. I smile a little at the thought and I look back at the Twelve O'Clock Log. If I were to run and jump off of that straight for the Six O'clock Pond, then I would get straight flying down. And what better to start with than boring, old Straight lines, no?

I crouch, before leaping with my rear legs onto the Log, sizing up the ramp-like formation on the end. Yeah, it looks like a ramp enough to be used like one! Simple. I crouch again, this time sliding one paw froward and raising my butt in the air a little, eyes narrowed at a spot right in front of me. I take a slow breath, eyes narrowing gently, and then I let myself run. I launch forward, leg muscles uncoiling like springs compressed to their limit, and wings tight to my body. I get halfway down the Run-Way, and I flick out my wings, noticing a slight hesitation in my Right wing. the wing seems to twitch slightly once it opens fully, but it was so minor I ignore it. I reach the end of the Run-Way, rushing up the small ramp and thrusting myself into the air, flapping my wings and growling in determination, and the horizon moves down a bit. I flap my wings again, and it moves more.

Oh dear goddess above, I'm FLYING! I'M ACTUALLY FLYING!

I let a victorious little roar and grin a bit, feeling rather proud of myself, and I turn to my left, to circle around. I look to the Rock Outcrop of Three o'Clock, and just start to turn when a loud, frightened cry leaves my maw, pain laced within it.