From across the table, April smiled as her eyes shot between the two of them. The thought of correcting her assumption flashed for second before the more pressing matter came back to her.

"That's super weird," Juana said and adjusted her thick-rimmed glasses. "I wonder what's going on."

"It's probably nothing, just checkups or other stuff," Quinton said.

"Why would they specify age?" Mischa asked.

Her heart thumped louder than the din of conversation. The age range had an ominous tone she couldn't put her finger on it. After what she had seen in the 'hospital wing' last time, she knew no good could come of this day.

"It's generally the most effective way to divide residents into groups and target specific health concerns. It could be deduced that you are facing a gender-specific disease and need vaccines as the target demographic," Navjot said.

Quinton shook his head at his roommate with a scowl. "What Navjot means is that the men will probably be called for the same thing tomorrow. Probably to see how we're fairing almost two months post-disaster."

 Juana and April both nodded to settle the conversation. Quinton turned back to Mischa who still clutched the water cup. "You'll be okay. I'd go with you in a heartbeat, but my boss might start to ask questions about my health if I take an afternoon off to do a women's check-up. I just don't have the lady parts to back up that claim."

Mischa shook her head but couldn't fight the growing smile on her lips.

By the time the girls stood up to clear their trays, Mischa realized she hadn't been able to eat a single spoonful. Quinton's reassurances had distracted her when her mind finally stopped reeling with the scenarios waiting to pounce on her today.

"Might as well get this over with," Juana said.

"Are you coming, Mischa? It'll be better if we all stick together," April asked.

Mischa didn't know why her eyes shot to Quinton, but he didn't miss it. He mouthed, 'You'll be fine' and gave her hand another squeeze. The girls emptied their trays by the door into the compost, wash or trash bins. April made sure the girls utilized the compost bin and heckled an older man who didn't.

Once they were outside, April turned to Mischa. "What's been troubling you lately? Do your pre-disaster memories still haunt you?"

Mischa ran her hands up and down her tattered jeans. She didn't want to drag others down to her level or paranoia. But, didn't they deserve to know? She swallowed hard, not until she had more proof. "A bit, yeah."

"Thankfully, you have Quinton to help. We can always offer assistance too."

"Is Quinton..." Juana trailed off as she chewed on her bottom lip. "Are you two, going out?"

"No, we're just friends."

"Okay, Navjot just kind of thinks otherwise so I had to ask."

She groaned as she pushed open the door to the stairwell. She really wished Quinton didn't have to have a roommate. Did all the people she associated with jump to that conclusion? A girl and a guy just couldn't be believable as friends anymore, could they?

She kept walking down the staircase until she heard April's voice, "Hospital wing is on this floor, Mischa."

Mischa's eyes darted to the level number and she could have sworn she went down to section four that day, not three. A walk through the corridor proved the look was similar, yet these rooms had warmer paint colours and friendly staff.