Bonus Chater Part One

Brittney's POV

I always knew that hockey was the way to go for me. I knew that I wanted to become a huge success in this domain, but I ended up giving it all up. As a kid I wanted it so bad. I wanted to play and make the minors, and then the pros. Honestly, I didn't care which team I'd play for in the pros or minors. But I gave that all up. Some days I regret it now continuing my dream that was already planed out. Other days I don't regret any minute of it, and knew that the decision I had made also made me happy.

How'd it all start out? Well, my it really started when I went to LA at the age of fourteen with my father. I had given up the choice to leave all my friends, family, teammates, and memories and more behind. It's not that I wanted a new start at life, but that I wanted to experience more than just what my town had to offer. I left to become a better hockey player, play with kids and be someone I didn't think I could be. In order for me to be good, I need to play with more than just the same kids I've always played hockey with.

I needed to grow that bubble. In the end, my decision was a good one that came with some minor problems. The Ducks were a minor problem. I wanted so badly to live both in my hometown and LA, but knew that wasn't possible. With the Ducks, Adam came along and yeah, I've known him beforehand, but that was when we really got to start knowing one another and become friends, rather than frenemies.

Adam Banks had the same goal in life as I did. To get scouted out, go to some school or league, and play his heart. He had a great passion for the game. I never knew that life could take such a turn in such short time. Because that's what it felt like. It felt like one day Adam and I were frenemies and then next we were best friends. It was really odd and difficult at first to deal with, and it's not that it was hard since we were only fourteen and fifteen.

Adam went off to the pros for about four years, at the age of 18-22, until he got injured and needed to forfeit his season. During his season off, I of course, was by his side the entire time. Why wouldn't I be? We've been dating since Senior year. The first time I kissed him we were kinda tricked into it. But, it was the most amazing thing ever. After that night, I didn't want to leave at the end of the holiday break. We ended up making a compromise. 

I finished high school in LA and he finished high school in Minneapolis. After that, I moved back home and we had hit it off. We kept our promise to one another. Before I had left that Christmas break, he had kissed me and said that he'd wait for me to return. The day I got back was the day Adam had asked me to be his girlfriend. 

Ever since that day, I've been by his side. Through all of our ups and downs, we've been by one another sides. I realise that I wouldn't know what to do without him. I was so used to having him there everyday since I was fourteen, that I guess, in the end, we were really meant to be. We're twenty four years old and have been living together since the age of nineteen. 

"Babe!" Adam hollered as he came downstairs with his bags. Adam was leaving once again for hockey. Seeing him leave every week and come home for a day or two, and then he's off for awhile, and then comes back, it does bother me. I wish he didn't, but knowing he's happy doing what he loves, which is hockey, I couldn't be happier for him. 

I walked towards the stairs and saw him standing there with a bag in each hand and one on his back. "What's the matter, Adam?" I asked looking at him. He still looks like that kid that I used to hate in Pee Wees and in Bantam.

He dropped his bags and walked over to me. Wrapping his arms around me as he brought me closer to him. I put my arms around him and kissed him. Swaying back and forth in the middle of our foyer, he replied to my question. "I thought you could join me this time,"

"Adam," I half whined.

"Brittney," He mocked, in the half whiney voice. 

"Adam, you know I want to, but I have work and school,"

He picks me up bridal style, completely ignoring the fact that I'm in school and have work. He went straight off to hockey, and had high grades and he does schooling every now and then. But I'm in my last couple months of school and then I'm done. He walks over to the couch and takes his seat as I sat on his lap, my arms around his neck so I wouldn't fall. He leans in to kiss me, but before he does, he speaks up. "You'll be okay here?"

I loved his soft side. I loved everything about him, but his soft side was by far the best. There's some guys who are complete idiots. I could say Dean Portman, but he's straightened out. I nodded. "Don't worry about me,"

He leaned in and kissed me, and I joined the kissed as I played with his hair. When we stopped for air, he spoke up. "I'll always worry about you, Love,"

I smiled and sat next to him, bringing my knees up, as I leaned against him and he had brought his arm around my shoulders. "How long are you gone for?" I asked, pulling a blanket over top of the two of us. The TV was on, but the volume was low so we could talk to one another. 

"A week or so," He replied, playing my hair. When he did that, I knew he was either nervous or calming down and was relaxed. When he had gotten injured, and we were of course out of town, which meant his parents wouldn't be there for awhile, I had stayed by side. At the same time, I couldn't leave and he hasn't forgiven himself for that day. It does seem to set him back a little whenever someone talks about it. That day was the scariest.

We had been driving to one of his practices. It was becoming evening. It was he and I, he was driving and a drunk driver had hit Adam's side of the car. I'm sure the only things he remembers is my screaming, the screeching of the wheels, the sound of the impact, and then nothing as it all died down and nothing was left to be heard. He doesn't remember the day of the crash or the couple days after. Our car was basically totaled but he couldn't forgive himself for seeing me the way I was. He was worse than I was. 

Sure, I had to get stitches in a couple places on my arms and legs to sew up the wounds. But he had broken a couple ribs, his nose, his left leg, a concussion, and the regular bruises and cuts all over his body. We both had bruises and cuts. But when he plays with my hair, it means that he's nervous or he's calming down and is relaxing. It was the next day after I had been able to leave my room and see him. I had my arm in a sling, and I did look like I had either gotten beat up and lost or a car accident. 

When I entered his room, he didn't look like the Adam I knew. His room was lit lightly because the bight light bothered him. He had a headache, was dizzy, there was a couple more symptoms but I can't remember them. He knew who I was. But didn't seem it there at the same time. I took my seat next to him, but he wanted me by his side, which meant right beside him. So, I did. He had taken my hand and held it tightly and for the first time, I had head him tell me how scared he was. That was the night he had played with my hair.

To this day, he hasn't forgiven himself for seeing me the way he was. He didn't care that he was hurt at the time, but it caught up and he realised he wasn't able to play hockey for that season. I wish he could forgive himself. I got out of my thoughts and spoke up. "Nervous?" 

I felt him shake his head. "No, worried,"

"Don't be, everything's going to fine," I assured him.

I could tell that he was going to fall asleep any minute now, but he couldn't because he had to catch the bus before it left to New York. I myself was also starting to fall asleep. When it grew time for him to leave, he had tapped my shoulder and I had looked up at him, after almost being asleep. I got up and hugged him tightly, kissing his cheek, and wishing him luck. 

I stepped outside and watched him walk out to the big Greyhound bus that sat outside our front door waiting for him. Some of the guys on the bus had waved, their windows open. I smiled and waved back, greeting them. I knew them, I came to Adam's home games and practices to watch and the odd time after their victory they'd celebrate and I'd join as Adam's date.

The bus took off and I watched until it was no longer in sight and then I walked inside. Heading to the couch to go to sleep since I was tired and had school the next day.