To Win! Coach Orion, Sir!

Mattie's POV

In the locker room, everyone was super excited. No one could contain their excitement and joy, they showed it to the others, which had spread around. I was really happy myself, I was ready to play hockey with this team again. Yeah, I'm mad that Britt left us, but she didn't leave because she hated us or anything, it was because she wanted to try something new and I need to understand that and not blame her for just ditching me here.

After getting changed, I headed out on to the ice where I did a few laps before the rest came out. Charlie, being captain, had told everyone what to do. I wasn't too sure on this, and nor were many others. He wanted everyone to warm, by doing Dwayne's roping exercise or what ever. I was afraid that the Coach wouldn't like this at all.

I stood in the middle of the rink while everyone else had skated around. Upon seeing the Coach skate on to the ice, I remained still as Charlie slipped and fell. Sliding on his stomach and stopping in front of Coach as he stopped too. Dwayne tucked the rope away behind his back and everyone gathered in a circle at center ice. Averman pulled up next to me, and Dwayne to my left.

"My name is Coach Orion. You can call me Coach or Coach Orion," The Coach said, standing in front of the group with his hands on his hips.

Charlie stands up from being flat on the ice and goes to give him a hand. "Well, you can call me Charlie,"

"That must be what that "C" on your jersey stands for, hun? It sure doesn't stand for Captain," I kinda felt bad for Charlie. He had been giving the title of Captain by Coach Bombay after the Games, it means a lot, considering hockey is pretty much all he has. He doesn't have a dad, he doesn't have siblings, his mother works, and I guess hockey is what is left for him. But I stayed quiet, meanwhile Goldberg spoke up.

"Sorry Coach, we were just messin' with you, you know?"

"Hey, Bombay gave him that "C","

"And I respect that, but that's the past," He said, skating around in front of us. Making his way up and down the line of players that stood before him. "This is my team now. And I'll be selecting the Captain,"

"You got be kidding me, right?" Charlie sassed. "I mean, you're the rookie here. We've all been together for four years,"

"Yeah," Everyone, except for myself, had chanted. 

"Okay, Charlie, laps," Orion said, looking distinctively at Charlie, who seemed to have an upset yet mad expression plastered to his face. I knew he didn't like this all, I knew that expression. I knew it all too well. He had it when my dad left for LA, and when Britt left too. And he has it now. "Right now,"

"How many, Coach Orion?" He spat. And at that moment I wanted to skate up and pull him back. But Charlie had gotten himself into that mess, not me. I have learnt to deal with my anger and sadness, whereas he and the team just don't seem to be taking this good at all. I've had my years of pain and put downs. And I don't want them to feel the same, but maybe they'll learn something from this, just like I did.

Honestly, I liked Coach Orion. He seems mean and all, but I mean, it can't be that bad. I had Coach Jack Reilly for half of my life. I think I can deal with this. Plus, he was right. This is his team, and Captains can change year to year and time to time. I know Charlie hates it, but that's what happens. He's a great player, he just now needs to learn to take up his leadership role, even if his precious "C" is taken away.

"I don't recall saying," 

Charlie rolls his eyes and spins off, skating towards the outer loop of the arena and starts his laps.  The rest sigh. "Now listen up, and listen up good. We are here for one reason and one reason only, do you know why? It starts with a "W"," He asked, skating over to Averman, Dwayne, Russ, and I.