Look, I Don't Like You Pukes...

Mattie's POV

Sitting at our lunch table all together. Charlie wouldn't stop staring at me, and I knew something was wrong with him. The way he looked at me, the way his eyes were squinted, the way his eyebrows sat, the way his posture was. I clearly knew he was mad at something. He was telling me earlier that his mother was upset with him last night because of how he basically blew his hockey career and that she didn't want him doing the same to his studies. I agreed, and Charlie needs to control his anger, how he will, I don't know.

Varsity walked up to our table, Adam trialing behind. I snuck him a small smile, and he returned it. But then wiped it off when someone slapped his shoulder. All wearing their letterman hockey jackets, Rick Riley, Captain of the Varsity Warriors, had approached the table. Setting his hands on the chairs in front of him, looking at all of us.

He was chewing gum, and pretty loudly at that. "Hey, congrats on the Blake Game,"

Some groaned in response, knowing we tied. It wasn't a loss, and we had practice early this morning because of our tie. Coach said he would've preferred a loss than a tie, because at least we would've known something from loosing, that we stink as a team now. I bet Britt's doing a hell of a lot better than we are. At this rate, she could be going to state if she wanted to, I'm sure of it.

"We're all Warriors now. You've proved your guts," Riley started, and he stood up straight with his group of boys behind him. Adam couldn't stop staring at all of us, giving me the hint that he indeed missed playing with all of us.

"You all set for diner Friday?" Cole asked. We all looked at one another, uncertain of this.

"Diner?" Julie asked, a little rudely. She probably didn't mean to, but we all hate Varsity.

"Well, it's an Eden Hall tradition. Varsity treats the freshmen to diner. So round up your posse and meet us at 6:00... at the Minnesota Club, downtown," Riley continued for Cole.

I was definitely unsure about all this. Knowing them, they could do something. They could probably ditch us there and we'd be stuck eating expensive while they leave. I could probably afford for my own dish, but the others, not at all. "I mean, you guys do like steak and seafood, right?"

"Yeah we do!" Goldberg, Guy, Dwayne, and Averman hollered, and the rest nodded or said a little thing or two to add to their comment.

"Look, I don't like you Pukes," Cole started, and stepped forward as Riley stepped back. He sets his hands on the table, and I look at him, since he was next to me and grimace.

"Feisty," Riley commented and looked at me.

I could see Charlie getting upset. "Shut up," I replied.

"But this is a tradition here at Eden Hall. And I learned to care for tradition," Cole finished.

And with that, Adam smiled and said "It's cool," And they all mocked his words. I wished him luck and he headed off after one of them had grabbed his shoulder, pushing him around and away from us 'pukes'.

Charlie leans over to me. "I swear if he looks at you again, I'm killing him,"

"Don't bother, he's a jerk," I told him, and sat there with my arms crossed. "Why aren't you so happy, Mr Hotshot?"

"Coach Orion and Varsity is my problem. I'm sorry if you like him so much, but-"

"Hey, who ever said I liked him?" I asked.

He smiles lightly, but it soon fades. "You seem to," And he plops back in his seat, shuffling the food around his plate. I listened to the conversations going around the table. Everyone pondering over what to wear tonight and what not to wear.