twenty-four » again

Start from the beginning

"We're up here because I wanted you to have a break from being Commander for the evening," I admitted, finally tearing my gaze from the beautiful view of Polis, and to an even better view which was Lexa. "I discovered this place when I first explored the tower, and I love coming here at night. Don't you?"

She pursed her lips and looked ahead, leaning back on her hands. "I don't usually come up here because I don't have the time. And when I am free, I reside in my room."

I nodded my head, expecting her to say something along the lines of her being busy. I sighed and raised an eyebrow her way. "Don't you miss having a normal life and not being Commander?" I asked, genuinely interested in what she may answer.

She shrugged, glancing my way. "I've known nothing other than this life. This is my 'normal'."

I chuckled as I said, "Well, let me tell you now, dude, your life isn't normal. This is normal. This is what normal feels like... relaxing, not having to worry about anything, being left alone with your thoughts. This is what normal is."

She focused her attention fully on me now. "And what makes you so sure that this is normal?"

I smiled with amusement, shrugging my shoulders. "Fair point. I guess everyone has different definitions of normal..." I paused for a moment, deciding whether I should say what I was going to.

"Back in my time, I used to sit on the roof of my house and listen to music to get my mind off the hard things. Whenever I felt like life in general was too much, I would sit out on the roof and just look up. Once I saw how big the sky was, it reminded me that there's a whole world out there, and my problems are only small compared to what's out there. I knew that whatever I was worried about, or stressed about, would disappear, and at the end of the day, I would be fine. That was normal for me."

She nodded her head slowly, her eyes staring intently at mine. "I guess I can try experiencing your version of normal for a bit then."

A small smile formed on my lips as I nodded my head. "I would like that."

I hadn't realised how close we had gotten as we spoke, because all I could see was the intricacy in her green-grey eyes, and the plumpness of her lips. Her eyes darted from my eyes to my lips, and mine did the same with hers, and that's when I felt the butterflies rising in my stomach. We were about to kiss again, weren't we?

But we didn't...

"Y/N... Y/N!"

My eyes snapped open as I was immediately face to face with girl from my memories. She was holding me upright, a concerned look on her face. Just as I remembered, the moonlight made her eyes glisten exceptionally bright. She looked beautiful.

"Are you alright?" she asked, not letting go of me for fear I would fall. But I was barely listening because all I could think about was not letting her go. Not like I remembered I did.

"Come on, we should get you inside," she said, and she attempted to help me walk, but I did something else instead.

I stepped forward and pressed my lips against hers. My hand caressed her cheek as the other held her waist firmly. I felt her confusion at first, but it didn't take her long to settle in and return the kiss, her lips moving in perfect sync with mine. A frenzy of sparks was ignited inside of me as she pulled my body closer to hers, if possible. I hadn't realised how much I had wanted her until now.

But we had to pull away for air, unfortunately.

"I think- no, I know now," I stumbled out breathlessly as I pulled my lips from hers. My eyes searched for hers in the darkness and I relaxed when I was met with dark pools of green.

"Hey, it's okay, breathe," she calmed me down, resting a hand on my cheek. "You know what?"

I breathed out slowly as she wanted, before saying, "I love you, Lexa. I haven't been sharing everything with you about what I can remember... I remember a lot. Enough to confuse me because I felt a love for you for so long, but I hurt you and I didn't want to hurt you anymore. But I know now. I love you and I want to stay with you. If you'll let me."

A small smile appeared on her lips as relief flooded through her expression. It made my heart hurt to see the tears of happiness in her eyes. She'd waited so long for me.

"But what about Arkadia? Isn't that where you want to stay?" she asked, her voice hesitant and shaky.

I shook my head, placing my hand on hers on my face. "I've tried to label things to make it easy for myself. I thought I knew where my home was. Either Polis or Arkadia. But I know it's not in any of those places... it's with you, Lexa."

Lexa's eyes darted between both of mine as she tried to search for something. Her gaze was desperate and nervous and I could see her reluctance to believe the truth to my words. I didn't blame her. She'd been through hell and back and it just didn't seem right for things to be working out.

"Lexa, you are the best person I've ever met," I told her, swallowing the lump in my throat. "You are strong and powerful and vulnerable and the Commander. But most importantly, you're the girl who was capable of making me fall in love with her all over again."

I pulled her forward, this time giving her a slow, passionate kiss. I wasn't going to let her go. Never again.

THE END

//

I wasn't kidding about this story nearing an end 😅 there's still an epilogue to go though, don't worry guys!

I really hope you all loved this story as much as I did writing it. I was gonna rant about how thankful I am but I'll save that for the next chapter 😂 just enjoy this for now!! ☺️💕

PS - check out my multifandom book for a new Alycia imagine I updated! 😉