two ≫ truth

The following day, just after lunchtime, I found myself hidden in a drawer underneath Doctor Tsing's sink in her office

The following day, just after lunchtime, I found myself hidden in a drawer underneath Doctor Tsing's sink in her office. I had been crouched down in this not-so-spacey compartment for a solid twenty minutes now, and let me tell you now: it was the most uncomfortable thing I ever had to endure, from what I could recall anyway.

I had slipped into her office about a half hour ago, and it was just my luck that it was unlocked. But luck wasn't with me the whole way because the filing cabinet I needed access to was locked shut, with a key that I was unsure of its location. I was searching through her desk when I heard someone's heels clicking down the hallway, and that's how I ended up under her sink.

My first thought: who the heck has a sink in their office?!

My second thought: thank God she does.

"You want me there now?" Tsing's voice was heard, though it was muffled due to the cabinet drawer separating me from her. "Can't you just contain the situation? I'm busy."

Whatever the 'situation' was that couldn't be 'contained' was obviously an inconvenience for the doctor, as I heard her groan lowly before she slammed something down on her desk, possibly her walkie-talkie. A high-pitched squeak made me cover my ears as quietly as possible, and I realised that it was Tsing pushing her chair out from her desk as she was probably getting ready to leave. Approximately thirty seconds later, the door slammed shut, and I waited another two minutes before cautiously exiting from my hiding spot.

I took that moment to stretch my cramped limbs before moving to work; I didn't know how much time I had before she returned, and I barely knew what I was looking for. I raced towards her desk again, noticing the documents that were littered across the top, unlike before. This time too, there was a keyring, with only three keys dangling from it. A Cheshire Cat-like grin spread across my face as I deemed myself extremely lucky right now.

I grabbed the keys immediately before heading to the filing cabinet to my left. I slotted a random key into the hole, hoping it was the right one. Unfortunately, it wasn't, but I had two more shots, so I wasn't deterred. I tried a second key, and this time, it turned to the right successfully, making all of the drawers pop open with a click. I pulled out the key and placed the keys on top of the cabinet, before opening the top drawer. There were four drawers, and I had to move fast if I were to get what I need before Tsing came back.

I rooted through the files, which I noticed were in alphabetical order. It contained the files of anyone who had ever visited a doctor here, meaning there wasn't many because there weren't a lot of people inhabiting this mountain. I skipped the names I didn't need, and headed straight to mine, which I found in the second drawer. I pulled out the file, but a small bag came out with it, too. It seemed to be labelled with my name, but once again, it was the name I wasn't familiar with.

Y/L/N, Y/N's Belongings

The sound of Tsing's voice echoing down the hallway brought me out of my mini daze, and my eyes widened so much that I was surprised they didn't fall out of my head. Quickly but carefully, I tucked the file into my trousers, along with the carrier bag, and I tried my best to flatten it, then used my shirt to cover it. I zipped up my jacket, too, for safe measures, then locked her filing cabinet and tossed the keys back where I found them. After making sure everything was how I found it, I took a deep breath and headed for the door.