sixteen » thunder

"It's just thunder and lightning, Y/N," I spoke aloud, hoping it would act as comfort in the darkness

"It's just thunder and lightning, Y/N," I spoke aloud, hoping it would act as comfort in the darkness. "You literally woke up in another world. I'm sure you can sleep through some extreme weather conditions."

Suddenly, a strike of lightning flashed outside, lighting my room up for a millisecond before leaving it in darkness again. A crash of thunder followed soon after and I jumped with fright, pulling my knees closer to my chest and tucking my head in between them.

Whenever there was a storm back at Mount Weather, it barely made a dent on the fortified mountain, making it easier to handle. But now that I was in a tower, practically out in the open, my heart was beating as fast as the rain was pounding down on the streets of Polis below. My balcony was covered by some curtain-like materials, but the strong winds outside were blowing them all over the place, causing quite the racket. All of the candles had been blown out, too, leaving me in complete darkness, only building upon my stupid fear.

I didn't remember ever being afraid of storms, or at least as not as much as this. My heart was racing and I was growing sweaty as my nerves increased with every lightning strike that lit up the sky outside. I hated feeling this weak over a storm. It was too stupid. If I had faced all that Deka had told me, and what I could remember, then I should have been able to put up with a stupid storm. All I knew was that I really missed my parents right now. I felt a strong urge to be with them at a time like this.

Somehow, over the racket outside, I managed to hear a heavy knock on my bedroom doors. I forced myself to straighten up in my bed and look at the doors, only to see them open slightly and reveal a concerned-looking Commander. I furrowed my eyebrows, my fear temporarily forgotten, and wondered what she could possibly need at a time like this.

"Y/N, how are you doing?" she asked, her distress not ceasing as she glanced between my balcony and me.

I didn't want to look like an idiot in front of her, so I cleared my throat lamely and said, "I'm, uh, fine."

She seemed hesitant to accept my response. "Are you sure? You used to be afraid of storms before, well, you know..."

I nodded my head nonchalantly. "Yeah, well I'm fine now. I don't need you here."

As if God was trying to prove me a fool there and then, a strike of lightning lit up my whole room and a boom of thunder came soon after, myself letting out a childish squeak afterwards. I didn't care that the Commander would deem me immature as I scrambled for my duvet and tossed it over me, somehow believing it would keep the scary noises of the storm out.

I trembled beneath the duvet like a child, wondering if the Commander had left me alone as I indirectly told her to. My curiosity was soon answered though, as I soon felt my mattress sink in from somebody else moving on the bed with me.

"Come on, Y/N," her voice said, and it was soft, quiet and everything I wanted it to be right now, "you don't need that. You're okay."

I allowed her to carefully remove the duvet from above my head, and I was eventually met with vibrant green eyes staring down at me. Flecks of gold and black swirled together and held my gaze, making it hard to look away. She was so close to me, and oddly enough, I didn't mind.