CH 17

I woke with a start.

"Timmy!" I shouted. "We have to go back for him!"

"Stasey, do you realize how impossible that is? They'll catch us!"

"I know," I replied, "but we have to try. I mean, he's my friend. I can't just leave him there."

"Stasey," he said, rubbing my back with the heel of his hand. "You don't think that's where he belongs? They didn't want his body, just ours. They treat him with some sort of respect. I think he's one of them, in some sort of way. General Buttface said he was special, didn't he?"

"Yeah," I agreed. "I just don't like leaving him there, is all."

"Yeah, me neither."

I stood up and popped last night's awkward sleep out of my back. "We better get moving if we want to get up north."

My stomach growled loudly, reminding me that I hadn't eaten since we escaped the ship.

"Yes, Stasey, let's find food." He laughed. "And while we're at it, let's find me a new shirt."

I went through the nearly empty kitchen and found half a box of stale Cheerios. I shoved my hand into the box and are handfull after handfull, watching Jesse trying to find a shirt his size. There were no men's clothes in the closet, and the one in the other room held toddler clothes.

"Of course." he said. "My bad luck has followed me into the apacolypse." He pulled out a long black formal dress and fake-squealed in delight. "Oh my god, it's so gorgeous!" He threw it to the side. Then he pulled out a pink skirt with ruffles. "Oh my god, Stasey, can you believe someone wore this? Eew!"

I laughed at his girlish act and pulled out a plain blue plaid button-up. "Just put this on and let's go," I said, shoving another handfull of Cheerios into my mouth.

He untied the towel and handed it to me. "Gee thanks," I mumbled sarcastically. My jaw dropped when he stripped off his Carl's Gym tee shirt. I knew he was ripped, I just didn't know he looked this good.

"What are you looking at?" He asked.

"I don't even know," I said without thinking.

He chuckled. "Will you see if there's any bandages here?"

I stepped into the bathroom and threw the bloody towel on the floor. I dug around in the drawers for a second before pulling out a wrap. I walked back the room where Jesse was standing shirtless, staring out the window. I threw the wrap to him and turned to the closet. It wouldn't hurt to have a clean shirt, would it?

I grabbed a dark purple tank-top off the top shelf. I set my breakfast on the floor and peeled off my sweaty and bloody wife-beater, replacing it with the purple, which fit perfectly.

I re-laced my boots and stood up with my Cheerios. Jesse was still struggling with the bandage.

"Let me," I said, taking the wrap from his hands. "I'm registered in CPR and First Aid. Am I allowed to help you, or do I need to call your lawyer?" I asked jokingly.

"You may assist me, Nurse Stasey," he said, lifting his arms slightly so I could wrap the bandage around him. I had to get extremely close to his bare chest, and I can't say I didn't like it.

When I had finished, he put his hands on my shoulders. "Thank you, Nurse. Say, you're very pretty. Can I get a sponge bath?"

"I highly doubt it," I said, laughing.

"Well then, let me pay you for your services." Before I knew what was going on, his lips were on mine and I could feel his breathing on my cheek.

When he pulled away, I stood there stunned as he pulled the plaid shirt over his shoulders, not bothering to button it.

When he saw my expression, he laughed. "Hey, give me some of those Cheerios!" He took the box from me and ran out to the living room and out the front door.

I chased him to a Jeep in the middle of the street. He threw the cereal in the front seat while he hot wired. I jumped in as the engine jumped to life.

The Jeep smelled like cherries, and the radio was on. I was surprised there was a radio station working, but then I thought that it must have been set on loop before the people were killed.

It was set on a Spanish station, and just before Jesse changed it, I stopped him. "Wait, I recognize this song!" I turned the volume up and Enrique Iglesias's voice rang through the world like the sun had finally came out from behind a cloud.

"Bailando! Bailando!" I sang along. "Con tu fiscia y tu quimca también tu anatomia!"

The music didn't stop all the way to Jacksonville.