CH 9

I heard a sizzle and felt a burning on my right leg. I looked at my ankle, where the flesh had burnt down to the bone. I had been shot.

"Jesse, I'm hit!" I yelled. I heard him crawling toward me, and soon felt him wrap a strip of his shirt around my ankle.

I looked around for Timmy, and saw him yelling at the pawn, pointing at the gun. The pawn handed it to Timmy, who threw it farther than any normal human could have done. He grabbed the pawn by the sleeve and pulled him over to the pavement where Jesse and I sat, watching.

I tried to crawl back, but Jesse held me down. "Wait," he said. "Let's see what happens."

"General Solktech," Timmy said, motioning toward us. "This is Stasey and Jesse. They will not be harmed, understand me?"

The pawn nodded. "I am Solktech." he said. "I apologize for the injury I caused. Our doctors will treat you. Follow me."

I shook my head. "I don't trust you. Besides, I can't walk."

Timmy shook his head. "Stasey, follow him. It's okay. He won't harm you again."

"What about the others?" I asked.

"Nobody will hurt you. The three of you are very valuable to us." Solktech assured me.

I looked back at Jesse, who nodded and said, "I think we can trust them."

"Okay," I agreed, though I didn't trust them at all. "Help me up?"

Jesse stood and helped me to my feet, draping an arm under my shoulders to help me walk. Solktech began walking toward what used to be the school grounds, Jesse and I limping along behind. Timmy walked behind us, muttering something in a language no human could understand.

The OnlyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara