CH 13

I lost myself somewhere between space and time. I repeated my name over and over, refusing to leave myself behind. But the more I decintigrated, the more of myself I lost, until everything, my name, Timmy's smile, even my parents were forgotten.

I found nothing but black space and white silence. The longer I stayed, however, the more vivid the colors became, and then they began to take shape. After what felt like hours, I was myself again, strapped to a chair with Jesse materializing in front of me.

I took in my surroundings with large eyes. All around me several members of different humanoid species hung from the ceiling in what looked like cocoons. None of them looked alive.

"These are other members of our scientific research. They generously allowed us to keep them, the few strong ones who were able to survive the 'apocalypse'. They are kept alive here." Solktech explained.

I looked up at the one hanging right above my head. "Why?" I asked. "Why do you kill everyone and keep the ones who survive?"

"Recently my species has been experiencing some problems. You see, our bodies have been aging much faster than they should. My mind is still young, but my body has betrayed it. We need new bodies, because if this increased-aging process continues like it has, soon my species will be eliminated. I need several different kinds of bodies to suit everyone."

"What about your dogs?" Jesse asked. "What's in it for the feasters? Do they get fresh bodies, too?"

"No," Solktech answered. "They are too far gone. The ones you call 'feasters' are examples of what happened to my species."

"What do you mean?" I asked, suddenly filled with curiosity.

"My species experienced what you humans would call 'a zombie apocalypse'. Those of us lucky enough to survive escaped."

"How-" Jesse began, but Timmy interrupted him.

"You have asked more than enough questions. Now answer his. Are you willing to give up your body to save this species?"

"No," I said without hesitation.

"Very well, then." Solktech said without emotion. "The two of you will remain in your quarters until my doctors are ready for you. Then you'll have your brain removed and your body put into stasis, a perfect condition for your bodies to be in before my people inhabit them."

He walked away, telling Timmy to escort us back to our room. I felt my molecules coming apart again, but this time it passed much faster and I was back in the room we started in. I looked at Timmy with a puzzled look.

"Molecular teleportation." He answered bluntly before untying us from the chairs and walking us out of the room. I memorized the turns back to our room. Left, left, straight, right, left, right. He pushed us into our room and slammed the door, locking it behind him.