Chapter 24

Charity games were used to generate income for projects for outreach programs, I knew. It was similar to the Benefit Music Recitals that St. Matthew's had staged where we had to sell two tickets each. We'd sell all the tickets. But half the time, only parents or guardians came to watch.

But the Comets vs Voyagers Charity game was on a different level. It was like the inter-barangay finals all over again. Only it was evening, the floodlights replacing the sun, but the humidity was still the same. The fact that Papa came to watch with Mama (who was bringing us snacks and gallons of water), started a buzz among the crowd, realizing who he was and wanting to get a closer look at him, the spectators pushed closer around us. As soon as we made it to the bench where Lexi sat as if to reserve it for us, we were all sticky and sweaty. And I was clammy because of the nerves.

I still couldn't believe that I was donning my very own San Rafael Voyager jersey! With the number seven emblazoned at the back! Kuya Six said it was supposed to be his Christmas gift for me but he had to give it to me earlier because the situation called for it.

"You look great in that," Lexi nodded in appreciation and I beamed at her, probably beating the high voltage of the floodlights. She probably thought I was wearing the team uniform for support just as how a good number from the crowd were wearing their own version of the Sto. Domingo Comets'.

I hadn't told her the plan. For our team's element of surprise, they would just bring me in as soon as it was necessary. I was half-wishing it wouldn't come to that point, also half-hoping I could get to play even for just a few minutes.

"I'm glad you are allowed to watch in full costume to boot." Lexi intentionally said that loud enough for Kuya to hear. "Someone must have realized winning a game isn't based on luck."

I was surprised that Kuya didn't take the bait. Maybe it was the pre-game jitters. "Aren't you supposed to cheer for your own barangay?" Kuya Six asked instead, taking off his sweaty shirt in front of her, and putting on his own jersey.

I swore I saw my best friend blush for a millisecond. "Best friend over barangay," she declared pumping my fist for support.

"Really? You're choosing me over family?" I shot back and threw a brief glance at the other bench occupied by those wearing white and green, easily spotting North wearing the same jersey, dead serious with listening to whatever Brandon was telling them. For a moment, our eyes met, but I couldn't look away. If North had a business side of him, this was it. And he looked different I couldn't tear my eyes away.

"For the record, he is just my step-cousin," she cackled.

When North nodded at me, I knew I had stared at him longer than I had intended to. He made my stomach churn.

🏀🌞🏀

There was a squabble at the official's desk when they asked for the roster of players. Judging by how the rest of the players came to join the discussion with the referees and the sponsors of the game, I knew what it was about. Papa was also on his feet as he looked on. Tonight, he volunteered to tape the whole game on video and refused to provide guidance. He had confidence that Kuya Six's directions was enough for us to win the game.

"What's happening?" Lexi asked beside me as we looked on the commotion.

I shrugged, still keeping mum about me being the secret weapon. But when Kuya Six motioned for me to approach the official's desk with a grim face, I knew that the cat was out.

"The invitation only stated that we can invite a guest player to play for the team," L was saying and the rest of the Voyagers nodded in agreement. "It is not specified that all players should be males!"

"Who in their right mind, would give that guest player post to a girl," Brandon scoffed derisively just as I made it into the circle.

It took all my willpower not to flash him a finger or to make a comeback. But someone did it for me.

"You can stop with your useless comments now, Torres."

Everyone turned to the source of the voice. To my utter shock, Coach Angelica Masinag emerged from the crowd that parted to give her enough room to get to the official's desk. The group immediately stood at attention in her presence. It appeared she was one of the sponsors of the charity game.

"What's the problem here?" she asked.

"Ma'am, their guest player is a girl," one of the referees stated.

Coach Anj clucked her tongue, impatient that this squabble was causing delay to the game. "I said, what's the problem?"

The two referees exchanged glances, clearly at a loss for words, then motioned to me.

"So what if they send in a girl?" she finally addressed the pink elephant in the group. "I have two female basketball players in St. Matthew's and I tell you, they can play with the boys."

"But Ma'am—"

Coach Anj scoffed. "This is a charity game. Anyone can play. They could even send in Sir Fausto there to the game if they wanted to. If you wanted an all-male game, shouldn't you have clearly stated that in the invite?"

Brandon stepped up looking offended by everything she had said. "But Coach, shouldn't we have another female player for our team? At school, you, yourself, said we couldn't let Seven be manned by a boy."

I imagined laser beaming out of Coach Anj's eyes as she looked at Brandon. "Fine. If that's what it would take to get this game going, I will play. Someone get me my jersey!"