Chapter 13

Every Friday at 4PM was dedicated to club activities when we could change into our PE uniforms outside the PE class. Today was the day of club meeting and try-outs. Membership to most clubs didn't require much work. You only had to sign-up and show up on the first day of activities and you'd be part of it. Although selected clubs require showcase of talents to identify who will officially represent St. Matthew's in various inter-school competitions. Naturally, the Sports Club was one of those.

There was a flurry of activities in different areas and designated rooms for the tryouts and first club meetings. It didn't surprise me when the gym was nearly filled to the rafters by students—both hopeful applicants and spectators alike.

"Have you seen our new club moderator?" I whispered beside me. Last night, I had prepared myself to grovel and beg the new club moderator to allow me to tryout. But since camping outside the Faculty Room was impossible, I had decided to speak with the moderator after the tryouts.

"I know. They say she was the niece of the Mayor or was it Vice Mayor?"

Shocked at the different voice, I glanced at the girl beside me thinking it was my best friend. "I...don't know," I mumbled and looked away, forgetting that Lexi and I got into a fight and hadn't talked since.

Surreptitiously, I scanned the crowd for my best friend and easily found her in the far end of the gym. She was busy chatting with the volleyball regulars.

The scene created a dull ache in my chest and I had to look away. In my head, I asked myself if I did make the right decision. Because it seemed like I lost my best friend because I chose basketball.

As if on cue, someone blew the whistle long and hard, silencing the entire gymnasium. And just like in the movies, the new Athletics Club moderator—her hair cut short (the shortest allowed for all females at school), clad in the official white PE shirt with the logo emblazoned on the upper left part, and a pair of light blue jogging pants—walked in slow motion towards the bleachers where the crowd had gathered. Student teachers serving as assistant moderators followed her wake.

"Good afternoon everyone." Even without using a megaphone, her voice was low but loud and crystal. In sheer awe and curiosity, the noise in the gym died down as if someone turned the volume of a radio off. "I'm the new moderator for this club, replacing Mr. Christian Barleta. I'm Coach Angelica Masinag or Coach Anj, and these are the assistant moderators to oversee and coach volleyball, table tennis, badminton, softball, soccer and chess, respectively. I'll be handling the basketball team."

"When I call your name and the sport you chose based on the sign-up sheet, please proceed to the designated area to start the tryouts," Coach Anj's voice rose above the low excited buzz of the crowd and she started to call names from the flip the chart that was handed to her by one of the assistant moderators.

The names of students trying out for soccer and softball were called first. Followed by chess and table tennis. Then, badminton. Then volleyball.

"Alexandra Alonzo, volleyball!"

Lexi's name was called last and out of habit, I clapped loudly as she approached the assistant moderator. When she turned to find out the source of the applause, I kept at it. I wanted to let her know that thought we didn't talk, I still cheered for her. I knew, without a shadow of doubt that she'd make it into the varsity team easily. I just wished she could do the same for me.

"Is she around?" Coach sounded irritated, tearing my eyes away from my best friend.

Then, I realized everyone's eyes were on me. "Ate Seven! It's you."

My heart started to hammer against my ribcage, not understanding what was going on. "W-What?"

"Felicity Ventura, basketball! I'm not going to repeat myself!"

Hearing my name startled me that my hand shot up to the air. "T-That's me! I'm here." The crowd parted like how the Red Sea did and I felt like I was Moses, without the Israelites, walking with trepidation as I approached the coach. "I-I'm here," I stammered. All the while, the one question ran on loop in my mind: Who signed me up?

Coach Anj gave me a quick once over before motioning towards the left side of the gym where Brandon and the other regular basketball players were huddled together, waiting for their names to be called again this year. But as I approached them, they were as dumbfounded as I was. Anxious, I headed toward the group, wondering what I had gotten myself into.

"North Vergara, basketball!" Coach Anj called again. I heard squeaks of rubber shoes against the floor until he fell into step beside me. "We got this," he said before grabbing my wrist and practically dragging me along.

For the first time since school started, I felt relieved of his presence.

And I drew strength from his words.

I wasn't going to let this opportunity slip from my grasp. It was the least I could do to thank whoever was behind this.

Time to show everyone what I could do.

I got this.