Chapter 8

St. Matthew Colleges was a heavy promoter of sports. Maybe because it was initially an exclusive school for boys two decades ago before it slowly adapted the co-ed system. Equipment for sports that the school offers were free for the students' use during break time and free period. Ping-pong and pool tables are strategically placed near the canteen and around the gym (whenever there weren't any events that is); chess boards (though old) could be used in selected stone benches. There were even bull's eyes painted on the outer wall of the gym used as target practice for soccer. Of course, the quadrangle could be used for softball, soccer, Frisbee at any given time.

But my favorite?

The little basketball rings on top of selected recycle bins.

Back in sixth grade, when I was scolded for breaking Brandon's expensive pen because he called me kapre, I received detention for three days. I had to pick up trash and throw them into the correct bins. It was Lexi who showed me the trash ring across the desolate stone bench under the acacia tree. She was serving a week's worth of trash-picking for breaking Brandon's nose because he lifted her skirt when they were climbing the stairs after the morning flag ceremony. Back then, I learned that Lexi also liked to play basketball, but since it wasn't offered to girls, she then switched to playing volleyball.

Suffice it to say that our mutual love for basketball and abhorrence for Brandon started our friendship and since then, we had claimed that same forlorn-looking bench and considered it sacred.

But today, someone had desecrated it.

There weren't any vandalisms on the table or bench and our trash can ring was still there.

His mere presence was enough to obliterate the sanctity of our bench.

"I would have voted for you too, you know," Lexi said, tearing my eyes away from North who was perfectly shooting cans into the bin. Where he got the empty cans was beyond me. And the more I watched him aim for the ring and make it, the more my palms itched to join in.

For the sake of honesty, I had once dreamt of becoming muse like most girls. But given my color and my build, that had been filed in the farthest, darkest corners of my mind, never to be brought up again.

Until this irritating newcomer unapologetically forced my deepest desires to resurface for everyone to scrutinize and laugh at. What his intentions were for nominating me, I didn't have the courage to ask. And I didn't want to hear his reasons either.

Here I thought I had stayed away from bullies like Brandon. Or maybe this was part of my curse. I'd attract the meanest bullies without knowing it.

Of course, I wasn't voted as the class muse. That's a no-brainer. More importantly, what was North thinking? They all decided he was trying to be funny (he wasn't funny at all) and the class went along with the joke just for the heck of it. Surprisingly, ten voted for me. But I doubted they even meant it. Maybe they all thought it was rude to not consider a Manila Boy's opinion on everything, I could care less. With the way things were turning out, North spelled doom for me.

"Eunice is beautiful, I'd give you that. She probably had been class muse since forever. It's time to pass the crown to another deserving girl." Lexi was saying.

"Oh, please, Lexi. Me? Deserving to be class muse? Are you kidding me?" I scoffed. "Just...just look at me." With my hands, I motioned for them to really study my form from head to foot. Because no matter how hard I stared at my reflection in the mirror every single day, I couldn't see a girl deserving to be a muse. Just imagine it! I looked like a huge abominable...clay girl.

"I already did. That's why I nominated you," North said, his back still on us as he threw the last of his cans into the ring before facing me and giving me a penetrating look. "And for the record, over the other girls in this place, I prefer looking at you, Felicity."

Was this guy saying the truth? Or just flattering me so I'd forgive him? North's smooth talks had girls from different levels swooning for him. In a matter of weeks, he had become a campus heartthrob. I almost thought his name sounded cool and that he looked and acted it too. Thankfully, his knack at getting me into uncomfortable situations helped his cool image dissolve into thin air. Mostly, I just found him an entitled Manileño who would do and say anything he pleased at the expense of others.

"Well, you must have a huge eye-problem. Go have them checked. Besides, what are you even doing here? Weren't you part of Brandon's gang?" It was lunch time and I was hoping to get him off my back even for just one freakin' hour every day. No such luck for me. I had a feeling North had asked help from Lexi because I had started ignoring him again.

"I go solo. Besides, I'm more interested to get to your good side," he simply shrugged like that should have explained everything.
"You're doing a very poor job at it," I commented dryly.

"At least we're on speaking terms now."

"Do I have a choice? You're practically my partner and group mate for all subjects."

"And thank God for that." For effect, he even laid his right hand on his chest.

I really didn't know where he got his easy confidence. Were all kids who grew up in Manila like this?

"It's a relief to see you two, getting along so well," Lexi, interrupted when all I could do was glare at North. I thought she was being sarcastic about it, or that she was teasing me. But her smile made her eyes sparkle just like how she'd react whenever one of her many worries was solved.

Then and there, I began to think her worry of baby-sitting North had become my full-fledged burden.

=======================

Kapre = Filipino folklore giant who usually guards old trees