Chapter 23

North did stay away from me at school after that. And he went out of his way to keep a good distance between us. He didn't spam me with apologies either and even took the rain check on our scheduled two-on-two with Zero and Jade. Not even when the whole Yellow Team had unanimously voted for me as the muse.

I didn't have the energy to dwell on the decision, still preoccupied with how to tell Kuya Six and L about the disaster I had unknowingly caused.

"Just tell them directly. You still have a week before the game. I'm sure your brother would be able to think of new plays," Lexi suggested as we got ready for volleyball practice. We had completed the Yellow Team's roster of players for the sports competitions in the coming intramurals.

"You know that's easier said than done, Lexi," I whined.

"Still better that they learn about it before they get stumped during the game, wondering why the Comets seemed to know how to break down all your plays."

I hated how she made sense all the time. Hated it even more that this catastrophe was my doing. Just when Kuya Six and I had made up, and how he began considering my opinion to improve the plays of Voyagers, this had to happen. All because of my carelessness.

Even then, I heeded my best friend's advice as soon as I got home.

And the deafening silence paired with the dumbfounded faces of Kuya Six and L was enough for me to understand I'd be banned from joining any of the Voyagers' games.

"Okay," Kuya Six breathed. I could tell he exerted so much effort just to exhale out what could have been an angry outburst. "I'm not angry at you, Seven. Just to be clear. I'm just... I don't know... stupefied by this information."

"I know," I said in a small voice, bending my head as we sat in our living room, feeling the weight of the problem at hand.

"Didn't you say you'll invite your basketball player friend in college to be our guest player?" L asked. "He must have some tricks under his sleeves to bring into the game."

"That would be awesome if he does," I agreed eagerly. "I'm really sorry about this."

L's lips pressed into a hard line and it broke a piece of my heart a bit. Knowing that I had disappointed him too.

"I haven't invited him yet," Kuya Six said again with a heavy sigh. "And the collegiate basketball competitions are about to begin too." The implication of his words was enough to deflate me and L as we sagged into the sofa we shared. "But I have another plan."

L sat up straight. "What is it?"

Kuya Six nodded at me. "We'll let Seven play."

"I'm sorry?" I blurted out, my mouth hanging agape. "Are you kidding me, Kuya? You can't let me play! I'm a girl!"

"The invitation didn't specify the gender of the guest player," he pointed out. To stress his point, he unfolded the invitation which L quickly snatched and read while I continued to gawk at them both.

"That...that is true," L mumbled and he ogled at me, as if doing so would give the key to win the game against the Comets.

"Besides, it's just a charity game. They didn't even require us to submit our roster of players. That means we can send just about anyone to play for the team."

How ironic that I now understood how Kuya must had felt when I used the same statement months ago. It definitely wasn't just a game.

"Right. I'm... I'm down for that," L said though he still seemed as dazed at this as I was.

"With regards to manning Seven, we'll just provide her with a good screen. I'm pretty sure the referees wouldn't let anyone get physical with her anyway."

"Are you seriously going to send me in?" I interrupted their meeting, my heart in my throat.

"Why not?" Kuya Six's smile was smug. "If you've shown this guy our broken plays, I'm sure he's shown you theirs too. If there's anyone from our team who could be a match for this guy, that would be you, Seven."

My head had coughed up different versions of this conversation. From Kuya Six walking out on me, to him shouting at how I continued to bring bad luck to his team.

But not this.

Never this.

I was looking for any sign of despise, tuned my ears to any hint of accusation in his voice. That deciding to let me play with the Voyagers was my punishment. His way of saying: You brought this to our team. Deal with it.

But all I heard was faith and confidence in his voice and an unwavering smile on Kuya's lips.