Chapter 14

Since that night when we had shooting drills, L had frequently dropped by our house to watch the evening replays of professional and collegiate basketball games even when my brother wasn't around. In between time-outs and commercials, we'd compare the plays with that of the Voyagers. L was given the task to figure out the chink in the tough armor of the other team. Yep, the team had unanimously decided to take on the challenge against the Comets. They wanted blood. And they were going to do whatever it takes to win. Even if that meant inviting Kuya Six's teammate in college to be the guest player.

L's frequent visits at home was therefore, necessary. And I realized, as long as I hugged a throw-pillow like my life depended on it and we discussed basketball, it became easier to talk to him without me getting starstruck.

We managed to catch the last quarter of the game between Dallas and San Antonio. And I couldn't believe the Mavs, probably one of the weakest team right now in the NBA, actually led by seven points! "Barnes is open! Pass the ball to—YEAH!" I punched the air with my fist when Barnes made a bucket with less than three minutes left in the game clock.

"I never thought you were a Mavericks fan," L chuckled just as Mama came in.

"Looks like you're watching an intense game." Mama brought a tray with a plate of okoy, a saucer of vinegar, a pair of glasses and a sweating pitcher of chilled orange juice, coincidentally blocking my view of the television. "Here, watching is better while eating."

"Thanks, Tita." L said as we both helped unload the food from the tray causing me to miss a series of possessions. "I wish Tito Fausto were here to help us figure things out in time for the charity game."

"He wishes for that too. He'd be back in time for your game though." 

"He wishes for that too. He'd be back in time for your charity game though."

As soon as Mama left, I picked a piece of shrimp fritter and dipped it in vinegar, my eyes still glued to the TV. Less than a minute left and the Mavs still led by six points!

The ball was tapped out of Kawhi's hands and I watched in bated breath when Parker picked up the loose ball and bounced passed it to Aldridge who drove inside the painted area for a lay-up. The piece of okoy slid out of my hands and into the bowl of vinegar as my scream tore from my throat when Nowitzki swatted the ball away as it left Aldridge's hands, and I screamed even louder when Seth got the rebound and dribbled away as the clock died down.

I couldn't believe my eyes! The Dallas Mavericks actually won a game that I watched! This was unreal!

Like a lunatic, I jogged in place, my arms flailing all over for a victory dance.

This was the first game this year that I watched and my team won! So sue me if it already felt like winning the championships!

I had not thought it was possible! But this was proof that Lexi was right and I picked up my phone to tell her about this miracle! Only to stop short because I remembered I picked a fight with her. I didn't think she'd want to hear from me again.

A clicking sound followed by a low chuckle froze me. Belatedly, I realized I wasn't alone. That L was there with me all along.

He freakin' saw me do my crazy dance!

My face heated up when I risked a glance at him, only to see his shoulders shaking while he held his phone, the camera trained on me.

"Did you just.. did you..." I trailed off, stammering, wondering why it took so long for the floor to split open and drag me to the depths of the Earth. Of course he'd captured my ugly victory dance on video. He'd most definitely share it with the Voyagers.