Chapter four- The elder brother

I woke up a few minutes to fajr, and took some tea and bread for Sahoor. I'm normally not a food person, I just eat enough to survive, that's it.

I wrote a letter for Siya, making a mental note to myself to post it later in the day. I came out of my room to check on Maa Fatima, and have a word with her. I was shocked to see Adam, my two year old brother, leaning on the door frame to his mother's chamber

"Adam..what's wrong with you?" I scooped him up and his voice became loud. He was hitting his legs, in an attempt to let go off me. Even her children don't like me. I placed him down and walked pass in into the room to have a word his mother. How can she leave him here on the floor? Mama Saratu wasn't in her living room, nor her room. She wasn't even in her favorite place- sitting in front of the stove, so she could have a good view of everything happening inside the house.

10 year old Hajara, sprawled on the mat, Looking the same as her brother, Adam.

"What's wrong with the both of you?" I asked her and she gave me a glare first, the hissed loudly. I went closer to her then slapped her mouth.

"Na miki kama da sa'ar wasan ki? In kika kara mun tsaki sai a pasta miki baki. (do I look like your play mate? If you hiss at me again, then I'll break your mouth)." I yelled at her. "Now tell me what's wrong with the both of you, and where's your mother?"

"Baba...he divorced mama and said she should leave....and...and he said she shouldn't take us with her" she said in between tears. I was shocked.

Baba...believed me? I never thought he would. Knowing his nature, he would just forget about all I told him like it doesn't matter, and continue life normally.

I hugged Hajara and consoled her. Even though we never got along, she still is my sister, step though. "Don't cry okay, everything will be fine" I held both of them for a while, and when they wouldn't stop being adamant that they want their mother back, I took them to Maa Fatima.

She's not just a good mother to me, but to Mama Saratu's three children. They didn't like her much either, their mother must have instigated them against us, but they can't ignore the fact that Maa Fatima is so nice. She's too damn nice. You can hurl insults at her but she'll just keep quiet, sometimes she'll even apologize to you, for doing something that made you angry. That's her extent of niceness.

Even after all what Mama Saratu did to her, she still took care of Adam and Hajara, like a mother would. She rocked Adam to sleep and consoled the stubborn Hajara.

It was after zuhr salat that I went out, the hot sun shining over my face. I pulled down my niqabi. Feeling more secure, I headed to the post office to send Asiya a letter.

I passed some jobless ruffians sitting under a tree shade, gambling and chatting loudly. I pulled down the second veil of my niqabi, covering my eyes and face completely.

"Hey beautiful, why don't you ditch that hijab of yours and come over here" a man said, sitting by the bench, his friends cheering at his boldness.

I walked over, step by step, looking at all five of them. I stopped at the leader of them. He looked scared for a while before he masked it with a smirk. Coward. I slapped him very hard until he fell on his face. He got up in an instant and raised his hand but I caught it halfway.

There's one thing about me, I can't seem to control my palms from hitting a soft cheek when I'm very angry.

"Don't you even dare!" I spoke and there was this bitterness in my voice that I saw him flinch a little. I could see the right side of his face, red from the dirty slap I gave him, and his lips were bleeding.