Chapter one- Best friend gone

Halima's POV.
Borno, maiduguri.
February 1994.

The loud sound of local drums woke me up from my afternoon nap. The drummers seemed happy, hitting their drums in a systematic rhythm. I meandered outside my room, the hot sun causing me to flinch a little. I sighted my step mother, Mama Saratu, in the kitchen, sitting by the local stove preparing the evening supper. I sauntered pass her to the bathroom, not daring to utter a word to her nor enter her territory, if not a ruckus would be created this afternoon. My step mother would make a mountain out of a mole hole for just greeting her.

I finished praying asr and the drums could still be heard, what could be the occasion, I thought. I went to Mama Fatima's chamber and knocked gently. She answered after a while and I entered.

"As Salam alaikum" I said.

"Wa'alaikumus salam, Halima come inside" she replied. She was sitting on the mat, with her hair falling over her shoulders, while the hair dresser plaited her hair.

"Umma Fatima" I started "Is an occasion on its way? the drums are heard for a long time now" I asked and she took aback by laughing loudly.

"Halima kenan.. So you haven't heard up till now" she chimed, confusing me more.

"Heard? About what?" I asked

"Asiya's wedding date has been fixed" she replied and I felt flabbergasted

"A..Asiya's wedding? When?" I inquired

"It's in seven days time" She responded and signaled to the hair plaiter to leave us alone.

"Seven days!" I exclaimed. She moved closer to me and held my hands.

"Aren't you happy for your friend?"

"Of course I'm happy for Asiya...it's just that it came unexpected" I stuttered . "Can I go and meet her?"

"Sure, you can go, but don't stay late" she ordered

I lumbered to my room and wore my hijab. Trudging past the angry mama Saratu and headed for the house beside ours. I met Asiya's father and Abba and some other people by the zaure of the house. I knelt down and greeted them.

"Where are you going?" Abba asked.

"I...I'm...I want to go and see Asiya" I answered and he nodded.

Passing the women cooking outside, I reached the main house and met Auntie Yagaji, Asiya's mother in the living room.

"Ina wuni" I knelt down and greeted.

"Lafiya Halima, its good that you're here" she bought plate of rice and stew, and handed it to me.

"Take this to her. Ever since she got the news this morning, she has not eaten a morsel of food. Please make sure she eats"

I made my way to her room and knocked gently. I could hear the ruffling sound of pillows and silent sobs. Knowing my friend, she wouldn't open the door for anyone, she'd stay up in her room and cry into her pillows.

"Asiya....its me, halima" she instantly opened the door for me and I walked inside. The room was filled with clothes, some ironed, some washed and yet to be ironed, and some dirty. I found a clean space on the floor and sat down, watching my best friend as she slowly ate her food.

"I can't believe they are doing this to me...how can they just get me married to someone I have absolutely no knowledge about, and that too, in seven days, this isn't fair" She bellowed as she placed the empty plate or rice under the bed. She sat down beside me, leaning on the wall as she continued her ramblings. "Leema, I don't even know how his face looks like, nor his character, and I'm about to dedicate my whole life to him...."