18| Cavalry

Tianshi Chen, Indian Ocean
June 28, 2056
09:36 Hours
24ºC

Somer had barely raised his hands, prepared to fend off Kara's attack when her hand whipped across his face. Kara was grateful that Sigmund had given them privacy after they'd arrived at Asher and Somer's shared cell. She wasn't supposed to be slapping patients around, but Somer was an exception.

"You idiot! What were you thinking?"

"What? When do I ever think? Besides, I never lose! If you hadn't pulled me off–"

Kara threw up her hands in exasperation.

"She just saved you from a week's worth of solitary," Asher muttered. "You should be thanking her."

"I can handle solitary," Somer turned up his nose, arms folding across his chest.

Kara raised a curious brow. "How many times have you gotten yourself stuck in there?"

"I lost count after fifteen."

"Unbelievable," Kara groaned.

The three stood in a tense silence, and within a few short seconds, Kara's mind had wandered back to the files she had read over. The angry tension in her features melted away, her expression shifting to one of concern and apprehension.

The boys noticed the change immediately, shifting uncomfortably where they stood.

"I've learned a few things," she said carefully. "I'm going to ask you once, and only once, to tell me exactly how you got here."

Somer collapsed on his cot, head in his hands. "Got knocked out, ended up here. That's all there is to it."

Asher's gaze flickered towards Somer but quickly returned to the ground. Kara frowned when she saw Asher's tense grip on the metal headboard he was leaning on.

"Asher? Something to say?"

He glanced up at Kara, eyes full of uncertainty, and turned to look at Somer. "C'mon, man," he said quietly, voice barely above a whisper. Kara strained to hear. "We can trust her. You know we can."

Somer flipped on to his stomach and pulled a pillow over his head. Asher sighed sympathetically. He pushed away from the headboard and dropped to a crouch by Somer's side. Kara couldn't hear what the two were saying, but after a moment, Asher stood, something akin to pride on his face. Somer sat up petulantly, his hair wild from the pillow. He glared up at Kara, but Kara refused to be intimidated. She held his gaze and crossed her arms with fervency.

"Tell me how you got here," she repeated.

Newtonmore, ScotlandJune 19, 205509:46 Hours15°C

June 19, 2055
09:46 Hours
15°C

All he knew was the crunch of loose, soggy gravel beneath his feet. A relentless summer's rain soaked his clothes and drenched his shoes. Wet bangs hung in his eyes.