Part 22

Chapter 21

Amy's POV

I skipped down the hallway happily towards my common room. I was really excited about telling Draco - then suddenly I remembered that we weren't friends anymore. I scowled. I hated not being his friend. I opened the door and walked in. People began looking at me. They still were pretty upset with me about what I had said to Pansy and Draco.

I went right up to my dormitory. It was almost Easter. Just another week and I would be off to the Burrow or whatever they called it. I wasn't particularly excited about having to share a house with the Weasleys ... the biggest pack of blood traitors I've ever known. And then I would be in the Order of the Phoenix. Wasn't really looking forward to that either.

I guess, though, that I would be gaining some really good information about the Order. Dad would be proud.

That's all that really matters anyway.

Hermione's POV

I was getting anxious. Harry had told me about what Sirius said. About letting Amelia into the Order of the Phoenix. Well, meeting her, at least.

"Hmmm," I said out loud. I was trying to think of a way to prove to Harry and Ron that she wasn't all that great. Yeah, I guess she was nice ... and she had the looks that I would never have ...

I mentally kicked myself. I couldn't be comparing myself to her. Not now. People were leaving the dormitory for classes. This would be a good time to confront her. We had the same class today. I got my stuff and got ready to leave.

Amy's POV

I stood in the back of Care of Magical Creatures class. Hermione kept shooting me weird glances. I didn't know what they were for. Hopefully it wasn't a serious deal, but I kept an eye out for her nonetheless.

We were paired off in class. I, coincidentally, was paired with Hermione. She smiled when I walked over to her. Her smile, as friendly as it was, was hiding something behind it. Almost smugness. Maybe, even, as if she was about to prove something to the world. Maybe as if she was going to tell everyone about me.

Ha! I thought. Like she knows. She couldn't find out.

"Ready to get to work?" Hermione asked, as if she was the teacher around here. As if she was the boss.

"Sure thing," I said.

We were working on describing the main features of a bowtruckle. They were ugly little things. I found myself annoyed by them. Hermione thought they were interesting. Leave it to a Mudblood to suck up to Hagrid like that.

I guess I was lucky, though, being paired up with Hermione. She was a filthy Mudblood, but she was still smart, and she was gonna get me a good grade. I owed her for that.

After class, I walked back up to the school with Hermione. I decided to talk to her, maybe to see if she was suspicious. At least get a sense of what was freaking her out so much.

"So," I said. "Are you excited for Easter?"

"A little," she replied. "You're gonna be at the Burrow, right?"

"Yeah, are you gonna be there?" I asked.

"I'm going to come a few days late," she answered. "It'll be fun to have you there."

"Thanks," I said. She didn't seem wary. On the contrary, she seemed very friendly. I walked with her for a little while longer.

"Is Slytherin okay?" she asked. "Harry told me that you were kind of sick of them."