Part 10 (DOUBLE DIGITS!)

Chapter 10

DRACO'S POV

I waited in the common room for Amy to get back. I paced back and forth, thinking about anything at all I could say. I wanted to apologize for what I said. I felt very bad. I wanted to make things better between us. But Amy wasn't the most forgiving person, like her father. I would be lucky if she even spoke to me again. I was being a jerk before. I could hardly live with myself. Losing your best friend is hard. Really hard.

I heard someone come in. I quickly jumped towards a chair to make it seem like I hadn't been having a near mental breakdown. it was a good thing I did, it was Amy. We were alone in the common room since most people had gone to bed. She began to turn away into her dorm when she saw me.

"Wait, Amy!" I exclaimed, getting up quickly.

"What do you want?" Amy demanded, none too friendly.

"I wanted to say I'm sorry," I said. "You know, for what I said before. I shouldn't have. I was a jerk. I'm sorry."

Amy looked at me in a very appraising way. I felt small under her fierce gaze. She really was Voldemort's daughter when she looked like that. It was terrifying.

"Whatever, Draco," she said angrily. "You still said it."

With that, she turned away, leaving me standing still, broken and sad inside.

AMY'S POV

Weeks went by. I grew closer and closer to Potter, Weasley, and Granger, and I grew farther and farther away from Draco. Draco and I hadn't spoken since we talked in the common room after my detention with Umbridge. Winter crept closer. I could feel the air become colder. I wrote to my father a lot, telling him how my mission was going and how school had been for me. I never got letters back, as expected. It would be too risky, with the Ministry starting to intercept owls. It was hard just to write to him because I had to revert to codes and it was difficult to understand messages.

School dragged on as well. Even though I'm not normal, I was put under all of the educational stress as the other 15 year olds. I had to prepare for OWLs, I had to finish homework, and I had to keep my grades up.

Umbridge was probably the worst thing in Hogwarts. Well, other than not talking to Dra... She wasn't teaching us how to do magic. No one liked her, with the exception of a few Slytherin wannabes. One thing that caught my interest was that Quidditch was starting in a few days. I heard Potter was a decent - more than decent, actually - flier. It would give me a chance to see how good he was.

I drifted off into thought. I then had an amazing idea. Perfect.

***

I stood in the row of kids down on the Quidditch pitch. I was trying out for the Slytherin Quidditch team. It would give me a chance to see Potter's skills close up, and have some fun while I was at Hogwarts. I had a broom. It was Draco's old broom. He had used it for a while before getting a new one and he 'let' me 'borrow' it. It would do for now, but I knew I would probably just ask Lucius to buy me a Firebolt later on. I was thinking Chaser would be fun. I decided that was what I would try out for.

First, the Keepers went. The Keeper position was given to a kid named Miles Bletchely. He was pretty good. The Beaters went next, and the positions were given to - to my greatest displeasure - Crabbe and Goyle. The Seeker went next, and the position was given to Draco. He was on the team as well.

Finally, it was my turn. I went last, after the other two Chasers were given their positions. They were Montauge, who was also a captain, and since he was the captain, he didn't need to try out. The other position was given to a kid named Adrian Pucey. Not a bad choice. I was next, going up against the final competitor, Warrington. Warrington, who was before me, had gotten 18 goals out of 20. I had to get a 19 or higher to be on the team.

"Ready, Amy?" asked Montauge.

"Sure am," I replied, mounting my broom. I had never flown before, and trying out on the team was a big risk.

I took off. The first shot I took was quite sloppy, but I was still able to bounce it into the goal. The Keeper had fumbled it at the last minute, and it had just went into the goal post behind him. The second, third, and fourth shot I took were much better and they all went in. I had gotten a false sense of security, and nearly missed the fifth. It still went in. I got the next six shots in.

"Wow, Warrington, you're not looking too good, are you?!" I heard a yell from the stands. I turned my head, it was Potter, Weasley, and Granger. I beamed. They may be my enemies, but at least they were nice. I was apparently quite a lot more friendly than the other Slytherins, or so they thought.

I had nine shots left to make. I went zooming towards the goal posts, I made a move towards the right hoop, but quickly swerved and shot it quickly into the left hoop. I got the next five shots in easily. I was looking great!

The third to last shot went in as well, nearly missing the hoop, but still getting in. I smiled two more. I could easily get them in and make the team with a perfect score. The second to last shot was intense, though. I zoomed in, aiming for the middle. I threw it as fast as I could, but the Keeper swerved down quickly and just barely got it into his grasp.

I scowled. There goes a perfect score. I could still get the last one in and make the team. I went towards the goal posts as fast as I could. I could see the look of awe on the watchers' faces as I zoomed past them at top speed. I was better than I thought at flying. I whipped the Quaffle out of my hand. It zoomed towards the right goal post. I closed my eyes as it went closer and closer. I opened them to the sound of cheering.

I had made the team!

After tryouts, I walked into the building. Potter caught up to me. "Nice job back there," he said. "Now we can play each other!"

"Yeah," I said, smiling. "Don't take it personally when we win, though." I laughed. Potter laughed too.

Don't take it personally either when I kill you, Potter, I thought. You better watch your back.