Chapter Six: Wannabes With Shades On

Terra and Jake sat down at the park. They were on a bench and were talking.

    "Hey, have you ever seen wannabes with their shades on?" Jake asked.

    "What do you mean?" Terra asked.

    "Those people who pretend to be cool but hide beneath their sunglasses," Jake answered.

     He seemed to be staring thoughtfully as he was talking.

    "Sure. Plenty of times," Terra said, thinking of Thomas.

    "Don't you just want to change those people? To shake them out of their little world?" Jake asked, his tone getting more and more frustrated.

    "What is this about?" Terra asked.

    Jake faced Terra and she could read his eyes clearly. Anger but also...sadness.

   "I wasn't exactly fed from a golden spoon when I was growing up and now that I am grown up, I'm still stuck in a rut. But other people...they have everything and they take it for granted," Jake answered.

   "You're doing something," Terra assured.

   "What am I doing? Getting coins just for singing on the corner?" Jake asked.

   "It still means something," Terra answered.

   "Not much," Jake answered.

   "Well, don't worry about it. What brought this out anyway?" Terra asked.

   "Thomas. He looks like he has everything while I don't even have a proper pot to piss in," Jake answered.

   "Even though Thomas has everything, he isn't very happy it. I would remember some days where... he'd hit me or yell at me for spending too much. I don't think he was very happy on the inside. He would pretend to be in front of company and I would have to wear long sleeved dresses," Terra replied.

   "Oh. I'm sorry. While I'm being an ass, I didn't think about your issues," Jake said. 

   "It's ok. I don't like to talk about it that much," Terra said with a smile.

   "Well, I agree with you. I guess having the high life doesn't always make a person happy," Jake said.

   "Yeah. I'd rather be a wannabe with my shades on," Terra replied, putting on imaginary glasses.

   "How do I look?" Terra asked, modeling for Jake.

   "Just fine," Jake answered, playing along.

   "Thanks darling," Terra joked.

    Then, they burst in a fit of laughter.

    Funny always makes the bad go away.