Episode 47: The Beginning Of The End

Carl wiped his face and looked out the window of the 6th floor we made it to.

                I was catching my breath and sat down in a chair. “What’s going on?” I panted.

                “They’re just settling. I can’t see anyone out there. They must have gone inside.” Carl said in a grim tone. After I made that stupid suicidal offer, Carl just frowned and ordered me to run. I don’t know what’s happening to me. I’ve never felt so stupid in my entire life.

                “It was flat out stupid of me to even suggest something like that.” I called out to him.

                “Why did you?” He looked to the ceiling.

                “I don’t know.”

                “There has to be a reason. You wouldn’t just…I would never want that.” Carl looked over to me but then changed his gaze.

                We were in some sort of office that had a bathroom and desk. I sighed and walked over to explore the connecting room. Oh. A bathtub?

                I turned on the water and to my utmost surprise a steady flow of lukewarm water spilled out. “We’ll have to stay here for a bit.” I turned off the faucet.

                Carl just sighed and took off his hat for a second.

                He was still mad at me.

                “Oh! Wow!” I scurried over to the messy desk and picked up a wireless cd player. “Hoho. Entertainment!” This was a suckish way to “lighten the mood” but it’s all I have. I turned it on, hoping it’d still work and lucky me, a jazzy song started to play.

                “Oh. I used to dance to this.” I turned to him and took a spin.

                I felt like a total moron afterwards. Carl just side glanced wondering what the heck I must be doing. “I’m gonna go look around. See if there’s anything we could use.” He put his hat back on and started to walk away.

                “Yeah…Ok.” I could barely speak I was so embarrassed. “Be careful.”

                “Oh. That’s ok. I don’t intend on dying.” He snapped and I felt my heart sink.

                I let out a long and loud sigh then glared at the radio. Behind the desk I caught a glimpse of a wine bottle and lifted my eyebrows.

                “Just what I need.” I whispered to myself and hurried around to pick it up. “You would do nicely with a lukewarm bath.” I smirked and went over to the tub again, filling it with the water taking swigs of the uncomfortable liquid over and over.

                I closed the door and locked it, then stripped down with the cd on the sink and slowly let my naked and bruised body touch the unsatisfactory water.

                The coolness of it made my body shiver and squeeze together.

                Pretty soon I loosened up and continued to drown my miserable sorrows in the yuck tasting wine. It burned my stomach but I didn’t care. It was making things fuzzy and not so bad. I let my hair down and slowly sunk under the water letting the music drown out.

                Rick. Daryl. Michonne, Glenn, Maggie, Carol, Hershel, Beth, Granny, Roy…

                All fragments of the past. Never to be seen again.