Episode 45: Risk For Those We Love

“Ok…ready?” I looked at Grant and he just nodded. He looked like a deer in headlights. Carl was taking the initiative, Conroy was behind him and Granny was next to me.

                I know what your thinking…GRANNY IS THERE?!! Yes…she is.

                After I mentioned the college, everyone went a little funny.

                “No. That’s not fair of me to ask that.” Gabby hung her head. “I’ll go alone.”

                I turned to her. “No. If you die, who will be there for Roy? He’s like a child. Mentally disabled. You can’t leave him.”

                “None of us should even consider going!” Stark yelled.

                “I’m not goin’ in there for some stupid retard.” Conroy injected.

                “Nobody asked you, dickhead!!!” Gabby spat back.

                “You could let a whole bunch of walkers out.” Vernetta frowned.

                “How are you so sure that we will? We don’t know where they’re at or if there are even any in there. It could be just another one of your lies.” I frowned.

                “I’m not going.” Stark walked away.

                “I am.” I turned to Gabby to assure her. “Carl? You stay here.” I smiled which caused his anger to shoot out. Uh oh…

                “No. No I’m going with you!” He leaned over to pressure his stand.

                “You need to stay here.” I whispered.

                “Conroy. You go with them.” Vernetta ordered. Conroy was at a total loss but didn’t speak back. Gabby just nodded her head and thanked me, then went off to tell Granny and Grant.

                “Come here.” I pulled Carl away. “This is no time to argue.”

                “Good. So you know I’m going.”

                “Dam* it Carl! I won’t let you.”

                Carl’s hand immediately reached for my chest and he pulled at my thin chain making my heart almost burst. He dangled the jewel at the end and tightened his grip on it.

                “You can’t ask me to let you go when I’m not there.” He exhaled. “Don’t do that. I won’t be able to. I can’t…”

                After a moment, I felt a tap on my shoulder. “Here are your clothes from yesterday. Get changed.” Vernetta smiled and walked away. I felt like a puppet on a string.

                “Here.” I handed Carl his folded pair with his hat resting on top and his gun underneath along with my things.

                “I’m going.” He took his outfit and walked away.

                My eyes became droopy and I sighed. What have I done?

                I should’ve never surrendered myself to Carl like that.

                After changing, I walked out in my tight pants and saw Granny walking over to me in…some old jeans and a loose shirt with a knife attached to her waist. Grant soon followed behind stumbling every step of the way.