Perturbation

IT IS STILL WEDNESDAY, AT LEAST WHERE I LIVE! ENJOY THIS CHAPTER AS RECONCILIATION. And the grammar and utter lack of emotion is not the setting of the book, it's just Yukio's personality shining through.

There he went again, getting into fights and blaming others for his actions. It was infuriating how he acted, oblivious to the burden he's put on those around him. Dad's constantly reassuring him, but it's just a facade to cover the harsh reality of who he is. To be just, that reality technically involves both him and I. However, it'd be another lie to put myself in the same category as Rin; him and I are nothing alike.

"Nii-chan? You good?" He nudged me with his elbow and I let a smile slip across my lips. He huffed and scratched his head, his tone exasperated. "You won't get far with that blank look on your face." You won't get far with that attitude, either. His arm dropped and he looked away, "you'll visit, right?" I blinked a few times, surprised by the mood shift. He sensed my response and stuttered, "I-I mean, I'll be fine, but the old man's gonna be lost without you."

A small, genuine smile creeped onto my face and I took a step toward him. I reached up and flicked him in the forehead, his pink cheeks darkening. "I'll visit, don't worry. Who else is going to patch you up?"

I saw a sparkle in his eye and my animosity fizzled out. Even though he was a demon child, he was still my quirky sibling. Rin chatted with me for awhile before I excused myself to my room. Tomorrow was a big day, I'd be moving into the academy dorms, and I had butterflies. Yet, I wasn't worried about my upcoming school life, no, it was the situation here at home that had me anxious.

How would Rin fare without me to hold back the reigns? I knew Dad would be able to handle his outbursts, but for how long? It seems as though... I sigh, my eyes wandering around my empty room. I'd already sent my belongings on ahead of me. This vacant room was a drastic change from my inner monologue, as my thoughts were starting to jumble.

I close my eyes and lay back on my bed, a heavy feeling settling in my lower abdomen. I'm overthinking, obviously, this is what happens when you leave home. Things will sort themselves out eventually, even if they are chaotic at first. Rin just has to stay out of trouble...

.oOo.

"It'll be real quiet without you around," I turned and met crimson eyes. Dad was seeing me off, from home because I'd refused the idea of him coming to the train station with me. It was an unnecessary for him when he could just stay here and get more work done. "Are you sure you have everything?" I nod and he sighs, a frown on his face. "If you forget anything, call me, I can make time to drop it off."

I shook my head vehemently, "I didn't forget anything, and if I did, which I didn't, you can send it through parcel." His frown deepened and he walked toward me, ruffling my hair and grunting.

"Yeesh, you're only fifteen and you're acting like an adult. I don't know if I like that..." I glanced away, my gaze settling somewhere beyond the monastery gates. "Don't let you're old man wait too long between visits, got it?" I nodded and the air shifted slightly, my mouth opening to bid farewell.

"Yukio!!!" The front door crashed open and both Dad and I flinched, immediately turning in the direction of the noise. A frumpy and tired looking Rin sprinted out, his feet bare and his sleepwear still on. He came to a stop next to Dad, crossing his arms and closing his eyes. "Leaving without saying goodbye to your older brother? How rude, Nii-chan, I'm actually hurt."

I resisted the urge to scoff at him, "You're the one outside with bedhead, how am I to blame for this?" He rolled his eyes and proceeded to point his finger at me, conjuring up a god-awful excuse for his tardiness. My eyes flickered slightly upward, catching the fond look father had as he watched us banter. I sighed, my lips curling upward at the ends. Rin blinked a few times, looking at the both of us dramatically.