Chapter 22

Matt

I stood on a random rooftop listening out over the town when I heard a little boy yelling out for his dad.

"Daddy! Daddy help!" He yelled out as he fought against his attackers.

                                                                                           Claire

I was making dinner when there was a knock at my door. I turned off the stove and quickly ran over to see who it was. When I opened the door I saw my young neighbor standing there and he looked really worried about something. He led me downstairs and around the back of the building to were we keep the dumpster. Inside of it was a bloody and beaten man lying there in all black and a mask that covered just his eyes.

"Help me get him out," I said to him in Spanish because he did not speak English.

He listened and helped me carry him up to my apartment. It was not easy and took longer then I thought it would but we finally got him up there. I pushed the door open and the two of us carried him in. We carried him over to the couch and tried to put him down.

"Easy, easy. Okay. Go upstairs and close the door. And no word to anyone. Not even your mom." I told him.

He nodded his head in agreement and walked out closing the door behind him.

I ran into my bedroom and grabbed my medical mag I quickly pulled out my rubber gloves and put them on before touching him. I started to check his wound and realized it looked like a knife wound. I felt for a pulse and let out a sigh of relief when I felt a pulse. I flashed my flashlight in his eyes and there was no public response. Start to take off his mask and started to check for a head wound. He did not have one but had a huge gash on his torso. I pulled out my phone to call 911. He needed a hospital before he bled out. Just as I placed the phone to my ear he reached out and grabbed my wrist stopping me from talking into the phone.

"No, no calls." He said to me.

"It's okay. I'm just trying to help." I tried to make him understand that I was just trying to help.

"No." He repeated.

"We have to get you to the hospital," I told him again trying to calm him down.

"They'll kill everyone." He told me as he fought against me.

"Who?" I asked her.

"The men who did this. They'll kill everyone in the hospital to get to me." He said as he ground out in pain.

He tried to sit up but was not strong enough and just ended up falling over.

"Okay, you cant. Don't, you lost a lot of blood. I think you might have been stabbed." I told him as if he would already know that.

"I have to leave." He said as he forced himself to stand up and stager as he tried to walk towards the door.

"You wanna leave the doors that way," I told him causing him to take a few steps away from me before falling flat on his face.

"Are you going to listen to me this time," I asked him a few minutes after I dragged him back to the couch.

"Where am I?" He asked me, he seemed to be a little more alert then he was before.

"You're at my apartment," I told him.

"Who are you?" He asked me.

"I'm the lucky girl who pulled you out of the garbage," I answered him he seemed to take in what I said then a minute latter grabbed for his face mask realizing his mask was gone.