22

T W E N T Y  T W O

T W E N T Y T W O

Clary sits in the cockpit in the seat next to Chewie, staring blankly out into the main hangar. She can see Han and Lando exchanging goodbyes — Han salutes, which Lando returns, and turns, vanishing underneath the shuttle. Lando seems to sense Clary watching and glances up. His eyes meet hers and he smiles, charismatic and level-headed, the same friend the Solos have grown to love and care for. Clary smiles back, small and forced, as she averts her gaze, staring at the controls in front of her.

You're not even a Solo! Cal's words ring in her ears, making her head spin. You're not a Solo. He's not your brother. This is what mom would have wanted for us — it's okay, Clary, I'm here. It'll be okay. I'm here.

Slamming her hands on the dashboard, Clary inhales sharply, trying to forget the insistent echo of Cal's words, the way that they pierce through her heart, all her feelings becoming a blur. Chewbacca lets out a soft roar from next to her, his eyes alight with concern. Clary glances over at him.

"I'm fine, Chewie," she says, rising to her feet. "I'm going to check on Han."

Before she can leave, however, she stops as Luke suddenly stands in her way. He had been working on the back-control panel in attempts to getting the Imperial shuttle running, but at the sound of Clary leaving, he's risen to his feet, preventing her from exiting the pit.

"Clary," he starts. "Something's wrong."

Clary avoids his gaze. "With the shuttle? Could you not get it running?"

Luke sighs as he closes the panel door shut. The shuttle gives off a soft rumble in response, a hum echoing throughout the ship, reverberating against Clary's feet.

"What did Cal do?" he asks. She can feel his gaze burning into her, intoxicating, captivating...everything she's grown to love about him. She wants to tell him, she wants to confide in him, to hold him and never let go, to drown in the warmth and security he gives her, the happiness that never seems to go away. But she knows now isn't the time — she doesn't know if there ever be a time where she can tell him everything.

"Cal didn't do anything," Clary replies shortly. She looks up, but still avoids his eyes, staring past him. "He said some things but...it's not important right now."

She starts to leave but Luke pulls her back. Before she can shake his grasp off, he lifts his hands, holding the sides of her face, forcing her to look at him. His touch wavers, gentle yet secure.

"Clary," he says. "Something's been bothering you ever since we left Jabba's." When Clary doesn't say anything, he adds, "You can tell me. I'm here for you. I'm always here for you."

A sharp pain courses through Clary's heart, making it ache with longing and desire, to break down and tell him everything that's bothered her — the voices, her intangible feelings towards everything light and dark, her true family. She opens her mouth to stop, but cuts off instantly as Han appears, Leia trailing shortly behind him.