21

T W E N T Y  O N E

T W E N T Y  O N E

"My mother...?"

Her voice barely comes out as a whisper. Clary inhales sharply, her heart pounding loudly in her chest, her mind reeling, her thoughts racing. Her mother was no one — not even Han, or their father, Jonash Solo, remembered her. And if they did, they didn't care enough to mention her. As far as Clary's concerned, she has no mother.

"I know you probably don't want to talk about this now," Cal says, "I was going to tell you back when I first met you. But then the whole thing with Vader and Skywalker happened and...I couldn't."

Clary stares at him. "Who are you?"

Cal holds her gaze evenly. "Your friend."

Clary shakes her head, some sort of unknown energy coursing through her veins, fueling her confusion, her pain, her anger. "You're not my friend. Who are you?"

Much to her dismay, Cal avoids her question. He turns, walking further into the room. Clary's eyes widen in realization as she sees it to be the supply room, where all weapons and other necessities are kept. On the walls she can see plans for X-wings and other fliers plastered around, detailing how far the rebels and alliance have come.

"Answer me, now," Clary exclaims, her voice trembling with anger or fear, she doesn't quite know. "Answer me, Cal."

"I remember her well," Cal says, avoiding Clary's narrowed gaze. He walks towards one of the tables, where a seeker orb is placed. He picks it up, examining it for a moment before adding, "I don't think I could ever forget her. She was always there for me. She loved us more than anything."

Clary's stunned into silence, unable to speak. Us?

"You know," Cal continues, twisting the orb, "I couldn't believe it at first. That day when you landed in Cloud City, I couldn't believe that you were there, that I could finally meet you face to face." He sets it down suddenly, meeting Clary's gaze. "That I could finally meet my sister."

Clary stares, dumbstruck. A heavy, looming silence fills the room, a silence so deafening you could hear a pin drop. Clary stammers, her thoughts running on end, her mind blurring, overriding. She doesn't notice tears have welled up in her eyes until they brim over, spilling down her cheeks. Her hands shake, and she inhales sharply, trying to compose herself. Cal steps forward, his eyes glittering with concern.

"Hey, it's okay, Clary," he says softly. "It's going to be okay."

It'll be okay, Clary. Destroy what destroys you. I couldn't be more proud of you. Make him pay. It's okay, Clary. It's going to be okay.

Clary steps back immediately, stumbling over her feet. Her back hits the door of the room, but her eyes never leave Cal's. Glittering dark eyes, preserving and never-ending.